A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 3rd May 2010, 08:39 PM

I'd swap in a flash, would love a black one. But I wouldn't recommend it, your spec is really good an you have squirt mode which mine doesn't. I would be very tempted if you were ever selling though!
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 4th May 2010, 11:44 AM

If i ever decide to sell, i will give you a shout first.

2 new falkens on the front (they seem to have some pretty good reviews, and initial impressions are good) and full 4 wheel alignment completed by micheldever tyres, hampshire. the guy said they normally measure it all up and only adjust the front, but on mine it showed the rear was a bit out so he tweaked it all. The laser kit scanns the car and sets a datum down the middle to work too, in theory avoiding the chance of the car crabbing down the road. he really knew his stuff too, highlighting a few other adjustments and carring out some other measurments and checks. It took him about 20-30mins (he was extremely quick!) including haveing a chat about what he was doing to set it all up. he didnt do camber or caster, but he did measure it all. at the end you get a print out showing the before and after measurements - i can highly recomend theese guys!

annoyingly, i still have a fair bit of road noise and.....a clonk from the drivers side occasionally (no-idea what it is)! but none the less im very pleased with how it all turned out.
'02 S8 - Ebony Black Pearl, 'Swing' Grey Leather/Alcantara, PDC, Xenon Plus, Bose, Phone Prep, Navigation Plus, TV, auto dipping interior and exterior mirrors, UV/Solar Tint Glass, Ski Hatch, Extended leather pack 1, Rear Sun Blinds, Memory Driver & Passenger Seat, Heated Front Screen, Heated Rear Seats.

Old 9th May 2010, 11:42 AM

[quote=Mr K;11632]

both my front tyres are heavily worn on the inside edge, so my first stop tomorrow morning is mitchel dever tyres for two tyres and 4 wheel laser alignment. because of this i havent really driven the car since finishing last night (they are VERY worn on the inside edge,

QUOTE]

Mine too, replaced them not too long ago when i cut my hands on the wires that were sticking through them, had a 4 wheel TRACK at the same time and was stood there when it was adjusted and it was well witin tolerances. New tyres have also worn very heavily on the insides again the NSF beeing the worst.
I'm going to have to have a laser alignment done now. Do you have to book in advance with md tyres? I could almost pop in there on my way home from work
Old 9th May 2010, 01:13 PM

No advanced booking needed but if you go in peak hours (sat mornings etc) be prepared to que. I was in and out In just over an hour for two new tyres and wheel alighnment on Tuesday morning.

It is circa £25 and I asked for 'four wheel laser alignment' but the £25 covers measuring all 4 wheels and adjusting the front, adjusting the rears is an extra circa £20, my total for alignment was £47-50 as the rears showed as being quite far out so needed adjusting.
'02 S8 - Ebony Black Pearl, 'Swing' Grey Leather/Alcantara, PDC, Xenon Plus, Bose, Phone Prep, Navigation Plus, TV, auto dipping interior and exterior mirrors, UV/Solar Tint Glass, Ski Hatch, Extended leather pack 1, Rear Sun Blinds, Memory Driver & Passenger Seat, Heated Front Screen, Heated Rear Seats.

Old 13th May 2010, 08:29 PM

Unhappy

Heavy tyre wear seems to be because I have too much camber on the front wheels. Toe is out too but it’s cancelling out some of the affect of having too much camber so it has been left unadjusted or my tyre wear will get worse. Matey went under the front and pushed up taking a bit of weight of the suspension and the camber comes right, or within tolerance anyway.

So I suppose the questions are do the springs get weak and lower the ride height, or has it been lowered at some point? (I know you can’t answer that)

The 8 isn’t a sport but does have sport suspension as an option from new so it might have bit replaced over the years with wrong parts maybe? Strange really because the front looks higher than the rear. If I jack it up so the camber is right it’ll look like I’m permanently going up hill.

I’ll scan the report sheet in and take a photo of the tyre tomorrow.