A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 4th November 2015, 04:03 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Default My Winter Wheels

Just got my spare set of FE wheels back from the refurbishers (AWR in Bury).

I thought I'd try something a little different this time. Since these are going to be my winter wheels, I decided to go a little darker -- nothing too dark, just something that would show the road salt and dirt less.

I asked for something like a light pewter/anthracite and, preferably, black on the inside, if possible. They weren't too sure if they could do it, so I think this was somewhat experimental, but I'm really pleased with the result.

The photos don't really do them justice -- in the right light they have a black/silver lead-like appearance that I think works well ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-11-04 15.20.17 (Large).jpg
Views:	357
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	12079 Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-11-04 15.20.52 (Large).jpg
Views:	346
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	12080 Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-11-04 15.21.39 (Large).jpg
Views:	333
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	12081 Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-11-04 15.21.54 (Large).jpg
Views:	336
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	12082 Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-11-04 15.22.13 (Large).jpg
Views:	341
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	12083 Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-11-04 15.22.35 (Large).jpg
Views:	353
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	12084 Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-11-04 15.22.44 (Large).jpg
Views:	351
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	12085

What y'all think?

And, what would be a good winter tyre to put on these (standard 255/35 R20 FE) wheels?
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 4th November 2015, 04:26 PM

I think they look excellent!

Always liked a darker wheel

2016 S3 Sportback
Old 4th November 2015, 06:04 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Really like them a lot!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 4th November 2015, 08:06 PM

My winter Fat 5s are similar in appearance in being gunmetal grey/anthracite - call it what you will - and are just great for the winter. I have just spent the last few days giving them a few coats of wax and then they will be going on. Well, whenever the warmest November for 70yrs shows a consistent drop in temperature!!
Old 4th November 2015, 08:20 PM

I stick with 18's for winter and just let them develop a "natural patina".

They'll go on later this month, but not until I've done wedding car duties for #2 son.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th November 2015, 10:24 PM

Nice shade of grey . I'm also an 18" Winters man, as 20" winter tyres are too pricey for me for 4 months use. Are you looking at new or part-worn? If the latter, it's worth giving DM Tyres a call, though it's unlikely they'd have a matching set at this stage.
Old 4th November 2015, 10:31 PM

Nice wheels! Like the colour combination.
Old 4th November 2015, 10:59 PM

think they look stunning, I did think about doing mine similar to that a while back and used the car my plate came from as an example, however I dont think my all black set up would have looked as good

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=wheels

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 5th November 2015, 08:20 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
think they look stunning, I did think about doing mine similar to that a while back and used the car my plate came from as an example, however I dont think my all black set up would have looked as good

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=wheels
Those do look nice! I was considering something similar myself originally but the only way to achieve such a sharp black/silver contrast, it seems, is to have them diamond cut, which of course isn't a very durable finish and probably not the best choice for winter use.

These were instead done by powder coating the entire wheel in black first, then applying a layer of silver powder coat to the front only, without masking off the rest of the wheel. I was worried it would look dreadful, but I'm surprised how well it worked. It's not easy to see in the photos (I'll see if I can take some better ones later) but the result is softer blend of black and silver that gives a slight pewter effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Nice shade of grey . I'm also an 18" Winters man, as 20" winter tyres are too pricey for me for 4 months use. Are you looking at new or part-worn? If the latter, it's worth giving DM Tyres a call, though it's unlikely they'd have a matching set at this stage.
I think 18s are certainly the wise choice for winter use. The main reason I chose to go with 20s is because I already had a spare set of FE wheels. I bought the spare set a while ago in my endeavours/obsession to accumulate spare parts now that supplies for these cars are beginning to dwindle. Having a spare set of the rarer FE wheels seemed like a good idea at the time, but I don't really have the space to keep a third set of wheels, so I figured I'd put the spare FEs to work as my winter set.

I think I'll probably buy a new set of tyres (probably from Oponeo). They seem to be around the same price I paid for my Pilot Super Sports (around £160-ish each) and I reckon, stored properly, I should get at least 2 winters out of them.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 5th November 2015, 11:57 AM

very nice look - i've been thinking of doing similar with my wheels, but alas NOT YET.

try TyreLeader

Blue 2007 Audi Q7 3.0 TDi S-line
Heated Seats, Leather/Alcantera, Auto Boot, Sat Nav (NOT WORKING !), Bluetooth, 20" alloys.