A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Old 9th April 2017, 12:14 PM

Default sim

Ive a 2015 A8, I bought a o2 sim yesterday put it in the sim ,But can not get it to work, Or get it out of the slot, Think I made the mistake of taking the little sim out of its casing , That makes it into bigger sizes , Comes in 3 sizes , So it fits different devices , tried pushing it with screw driver, nail file , all sorts,

any one know how ???? thanks Alan.
Old 9th April 2017, 03:31 PM

It's probably not clicked into place, to small, so perhaps something sticky (sellotape wrapped round the end of something slim and blunt) will grip it and allow you to ease it out. Hopefully you still have the original sim card, complete with its other sized templates. If so you can snap out the size you need, pop your sim back into it and slide it into the sim slot
Old 9th April 2017, 05:56 PM

If you can get it out and you no longer have the adapters, ebay and the pound shops sell them

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 10th April 2017, 08:39 PM

Vacuam Cleaner might work & retrieve sim from dust bag or cancel it and get a new one.
When I got my Vodafone one, I had to get on to their tech support and change some settings on the mmi to get it working; APN, Username, Password etc.
Old 21st April 2017, 05:40 PM

Default sim

after trying all sorts, phoned local Audi dealer . They said I would have to book it in , They had seen this before , And said they just fish out with a bit of wire , Just luck really , Is what they said, So I got a bit of copper wire and fished it out , Took me about 3 minutes , Easy when you know how . Ive now put the small sim in the correct holder, And it works , Thanks all for trying to help , Alan.
Old 21st April 2017, 05:52 PM

Good result, and good to know as we all move into the 'SIM in car' era.
I have one in my wife's VW, but can not for the life of me see any point. What does it give you, that your phone can't do easier, what am I missing here?
Old 21st April 2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Good result, and good to know as we all move into the 'SIM in car' era.
I have one in my wife's VW, but can not for the life of me see any point. What does it give you, that your phone can't do easier, what am I missing here?
On the D4 it gives you Google Maps, online traffic, online location (destination) searches, weather, fuel prices, news headlines...... all thorough the MMI. Also creates a wifi hotspot in the car.

So stuff you can do on your phone, while stationary without the engine running unless you risk 6 points!?
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:20 AM

Good news Alan.
I got my Three data sim today but am struggling to get it to work in my car. Just keep getting a please check SIM message. I'll have a look again tomorrow as I must be missing something. The SIM works okay in my phone so methinks it must be a settings problem in the car. I spent an hour on it earlier but no joy. My phone doesn't do RSAP so I need to get this working.... Foolishly hoped it would be plug and play!
Old 22nd April 2017, 06:44 PM

When I did mine, I had to register it. I had to put sim in car, create wifi hotspot in car, use iPad on hotspot to navigate to 3 page and then bingo.
Old 22nd April 2017, 06:49 PM

Unhappy

Well I've had no luck today. I've previously updated MMI to 900 and have Audi Connect icon present. I followed guides about what to enliven via hidden green menu. On Nav I can see Google as a map type albeit greyed out. Data Connection in telephone is there. I can open it but it won't let me change or input anything and some of the options are greyed out. SIM in dash doesn't appear to do anything. It knows a card is installed because it tells me to check it. I've swapped the SIM I've bought for the one in my phone but that doesn't work either. No question Sim is installed properly it clicks into place etc... Anyone got any thoughts or experiences that might help