A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 21st June 2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
That certainly was very lucky! Not so much that the chimney pot fell onto the car, but at least glass is relatively easy to replace.

Sounds like you need to build a car port, which is something I've been planning to do myself for a long time.
That was my thinking on the 'being lucky' part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Autoglass came today and it took exactly one hour.
One man on his own, and he was a scouser.
Brilliant worker, and the kit in his van, an absolute Pro. Didn't mind us watching and did join in the banter.
No mess, no hiccups, even got the old one out in one piece. Big thing is that he had the correct replacement first time. Autoglass have improved.
Good to know, and hope I can report the same thing next week.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 26th June 2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
That certainly was very lucky!
Not as lucky as I first thought! I've been letting the rain wash off all the small debris, before deciding yesterday to wash the car properly. I had my reading glasses on and discovered that the paintwork didn't get away with it after all. I need to take a proper light to it to inspect it closely, but I counted 8 places where paint was chipped off, two of which are down to the metal, and 6 places where the paint has been scuffed... and this is only on the boot lid. The edge of the roof near the window has 4 chips as well as a few scuffs, and the shark fin aerial has 4 cuts in it. The 'biggest' paint chips are around 1cm long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Big thing is that he had the correct replacement first time.
Someone in the ordering department missed out a 'P' in mine, the P being for 'Privacy' glass, and this despite me telling them last week that the rear side and back window were privacy glass. Even though I had been watching him, and checked the new one he had on the stand, which looked tinted, I never noticed the discrepancy until he placed the old glass up against the side of the house (which is cream coloured), and it was then blatantly obvious.

Supposed to be getting a new one on Monday, and since it's not a daily driver, no real harm done.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 26th June 2019, 06:32 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Not as lucky as I first thought! I've been letting the rain wash off all the small debris, before deciding yesterday to wash the car properly. I had my reading glasses on and discovered that the paintwork didn't get away with it after all. I need to take a proper light to it to inspect it closely, but I counted 8 places where paint was chipped off, two of which are down to the metal, and 6 places where the paint has been scuffed... and this is only on the boot lid. The edge of the roof near the window has 4 chips as well as a few scuffs, and the shark fin aerial has 4 cuts in it. The 'biggest' paint chips are around 1cm long.
Urgh I know how you must feel. It's horrifying to discover any paint damage. I hope you manage to get the affected panels satisfactorily repaired.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 26th June 2019, 06:44 PM

I'm with Mark here, Sean.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:14 AM

It's now zero for two for Autoglass. The new screen was due to be replaced yesterday, but the technician called me to say he reckoned that the replacement wasn't the right one, and he was correct. It turns out the replacement one was a pre-facelift screen, which has the traditional wide spaced demister lines on it, whereas mine has the very fine demister lines that you can barely see. So kudos to the technician for spotting the issue.

However, that now means that the car is now off the road until the 13th, as they are having to order the part directly from Audi.

Old 13th July 2019, 11:25 AM

And it's now zero for three to Autoglass.

A different technician turned up this morning, already knowing it was the wrong replacement glass, as the original technician spotted it yesterday and told him. His task today was to take photos of the original glass, as well as getting the VIN number, and report back.

He showed me the replacement screen, and although it has the correct demister lines, it is completely clear, even less so than the first replacement screen three weeks ago... and yet this was supposedly ordered directly from Audi!

I'm seriously doubting this last comment by them, so despite having the correct part number for the screen, I contacted an Audi dealer parts department, and asked them to confirm the correct part number, which he was able to do from the registration, and I've now passed that onto Autoglass and asked them to double check it with what they order on Monday.

Next appointment is scheduled for the 19th, so that will be a full month the car has been off the road. Any bets that the next one will be the correct one!

Old 13th July 2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Any bets that the next one will be the correct one!
I wouldn't count on it. It took 10 months, a dozen appointments and a similar number of screens to get the right bit of glass fitted to my Mercedes SL.

They ended up fitting an incorrect piece (wrong colour) and then writing it off a few weeks later to fit the correct one, because the MoT was due and they didn't fancy the bill for hiring me an equivalent car.
Old 14th July 2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
I wouldn't count on it. It took 10 months, a dozen appointments and a similar number of screens to get the right bit of glass fitted to my Mercedes SL.

They ended up fitting an incorrect piece (wrong colour) and then writing it off a few weeks later to fit the correct one, because the MoT was due and they didn't fancy the bill for hiring me an equivalent car.
That's somewhat ironic, as literally minutes ago I booked the car for it's MOT here. However, due to the 'idiotic' nature in which MOTs are carried out in Northern Ireland, (I just discovered) there is a now an 8-10 week backlog. The MOT expires on the 10th August and the first date I could get was 21st August, with the next closest dates being the second week in September.

Old 14th July 2019, 09:47 PM

I'm lucky in that respect.
My Indie will fit me in whenever I need, mind the owner, his brother and the only employee are very close friends.
Sometimes it pays to have a friend.

Honest, I do have A friend.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 15th July 2019, 07:05 AM

national in omagh did my rear screen Sean with an Audi original part no problems