A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 17th May 2012, 06:11 PM

Yep, I bought the RS6 when I was 20 and couldn't get insured. So my dad insured it under his name and I locked it away, Dad is 59, Manager,5 Years NCB,20k Value,Tracker and he paid under £200 iirc, I cannot remember exactly but it was stupid cheap. I am paying £1600 at 21 with 0 NCB, policy in my name and 1 fault claim at £3k as I tapped someone in my Beemer last November, quite pleased at that to be honest, I was paying £1900 on the BMW and that was only a 2.0 D! OK, so the excess is £1,000, but you can get insurance to cover your excess for £50 a year and it saves your a few hundred upping the excess in my case.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 17th May 2012, 08:38 PM

Where do you get the excess insurance?

I know.. I know..

Old 17th May 2012, 11:40 PM

My BMW dealer offered it to me, told them I have the RS6 now and they said that is fine and they will cover that too. They are a decent bodyshop so would trust them with my RS6 if anything happened, and they will order the bits from Audi directly. But you can insure through other companies too. http://www.insure4excess.com/motorEx...=100&subRefID=

My BMW dealer was the only one to cover my £1,000 though.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 19th May 2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Mine's due next week - having a nightmare on quotes for both s8 and a6 and can't get below £1k for the 2 despite 9 & 6 yrs no claims bonus and clean licenses. Claim for s8 mirror theft not helping....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloss View Post
I just renewed recently with Swiftcover
Well with a combined renewal at £1032 for my S8 and A6 3.0 petrol estate I've had to spend a few hours this week looking at options.

Doesn't help that the mirror saga cost over £2k to resolve and we also had a new windscreen on the A6 this year.

For the A6 I was getting all sorts of prices as we've 'only' got 6 yrs NCB on that, but after doing a meerkat quote Swiftcover (part of Axa) came in WAY below anyone else. Unfortunately they seem to think our model of A6 only came as a manual, when in fact it was only available as an automatic so cue some phone calls where they manage to change it to a 4.2 and increase the excess by £250 as a result and double the premium! After much messing about they did finally manage to change it to an auto after I'd bought the policy for just under £305, compared to renewal of £545 from Adrian Flux.

The S8 ended up being a bit simpler, despite the mods. Ruled out '1st central' as they're Gibralter based and not fully covered by FSA which sounded far too dodgy. Despite Admiral being the insurer who covered me when the claim was made for the mirrors they came in very competitive. Renewal was £487 (9 yrs NCB) and Admiral quoted £450. Rang Adrian Flux back and they've done it for £440 so broadly happy with that in the circumstances.

Nearly £300 saved, albeit at the expense of doing anything 'fun' on a Saturday.....good job I sorted it, as it expires Sunday night and I'd have had to declare the S8 SORN to avoid a fine if I waited till Monday!

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC

Last edited by Adrian E; 19th May 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 19th May 2012, 03:50 PM

You lucky people.
Can't get a quote below £1200.

THE WHALE IS BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER... errr but leaking again
Old 19th May 2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluewhale View Post
You lucky people.
Can't get a quote below £1200.
I presume Liverpool postcodes are still not flavour of the month?!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 19th May 2012, 04:14 PM

If it begins with a 'L' triple the quote.

Thieving b'stards. Then again I suppose it's the other thieving b'stards putting my fecking insurance up.

THE WHALE IS BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER... errr but leaking again
Old 8th June 2012, 12:12 PM

Default car insurance

my car insurance come up renewal £1100 i was paying £330
my wife car v6 passat £540 was paying £360 .anyway i look around and got the 2 cars for £400 a year exess was £300 i cant understand them you dont have any claims protect bonus of 25 years for me and 3 years for wife ????????????????????
Old 8th June 2012, 01:25 PM

Mine = £292 on Admiral Multi car (>11yrs NCB) with my son (26yrs old, Honda CR-V 1998) (8yrsNCB). His cost = £195 (on top my cost). Still not too bad though.
Old 8th June 2012, 01:40 PM

It's the usual nonsense they pull.. Mine went from 330 to 690 again this year, a quick visit to the meerkat and a call to Elephant, it's now on a multicar with hers (which was with Admiral, so easy to move later), and both for much less than the renewal quote on mine.

They make a killing out of folks not checking out the quotes.

I know.. I know..