A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Old 31st October 2015, 02:21 PM

Default Free - old laptop with VAGCOM/VCDS-Lite

So, only of use for D2's really, but it's about the same vintage as it was built in December 1998 by IBM in Greenock!

I used it for many years to run VAG-COM so it's complete with serial OBD-II lead, bag, mouse and various accessories. Free to a good home if collected!

It's battery is pretty poor (max 30 minutes) so you really have to run a long mains lead out to the car, but apart from that it works fine.
It's an IBM ThinkPad 380Z, built like the proverbial brick privy so almost indestructible, running Windows ME. Made in Scotland from Girders!
Pentium-II processor, a mighty 96MB ram and 7GB hard disk. CD and floppy drives and a solitary USB port too!
It even has a Belkin PCMCIA wireless adapter with it but although it's 802.11g it often won't connect to most modern wireless routers.

There are various versions of VAG-COM on the disk. One of these was properly registered and most definitely worked, but I deactivated it to upgrade to VCDS-Lite on a newer laptop. (And even that has now been superseded)

Also has VCDS-Lite installed and tested with the enclosed lead.
As you presumably know the unregistered version of VCDS-Lite is still pretty useful.

If you can't be bothered with a mains lead you can probably buy a power adapter that will generate the 16V DC it uses and plug into your car 12v power outlet. (I have a 19.5v one for my Dell VCDS laptop)

PS. It also has a full legal copy of Office 2000 installed!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 1st November 2015, 03:37 PM

yes please ...as answered in the sensors thread !
Old 1st November 2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnick View Post
yes please ...as answered in the sensors thread !
OK, PM me about arranging to pick it up.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 8th November 2015, 09:03 AM

Collected this morning. Good to see a computer as old as some of our cars still working productively.