A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 18th November 2015, 12:05 AM

Heeavvvy.

My most entertaining Scouse customer sold his wares by way of a team of door knockers and street sellers. I was sat in the front room of his council house admiring his VCR (first one I'd ever seen). And off my customer, Billy (yep stereotypical (and real (I think) name)). Anyway off he toddles, and returns with a plastic carrier bag. Which he chucks on the floor and says "there you go whack, 65 grand, just so you know I'm good for it". He went and made a cup of tea. It's a bit weird looking at a scruffy bag stuffed with cash worth than double what I'd paid for a new 4 bed detached.

Liverpool customers, the friendliest, most amusing and naughtiest

BTW You missed Derek Hatton from your list, but ..... where did he come from?

Last edited by tonupkid; 18th November 2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 18th November 2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
I have tried to refrain from commenting on this given the context is that of a car forum, but, I cannot.

Why people feel the need to perpeptuate an outdated, inaccurate and ignorant viewpoint of Liverpool, I do not know. Even in a somewhat passive aggressive manner...

The neoliberal divisive policy of the Thatcher government, with the help of the Police and the shameful red top 'press', Kelvin MacKenzie et al soiled the reputation of Liverpool, but surely people can, with the benefit of hindsight and a brain of their own see that now and look past it? Some clearly struggle.

Rant over.
Eh! Eh! calm down, calm down

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 18th November 2015, 10:37 AM

Note that I live in a place that some call an overspill estate.
Some of my best friends are either Liverpuddlians or expat scousers living elsewhere in the world.
AND the original comment was tongue in cheek.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 18th November 2015, 11:48 AM

Default Stereos and stereotypes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
I do not want to call Scouseland or it's occupants but I am very careful where I deposit my pennies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Eh! Eh! calm down, calm down
I think this simply shows the limitations of text when communicating. Both of the above comments were intended to be tongue in cheek, I think, but could be be misconstrued, without some sort of indication that they were meant that way.

It's very very rare for any comments on this forum to cause offence, and - in my view - one of the easiest ways to do this is to give a little wink when it's meant as a joke - and maybe also to give the poster the benefit of the doubt where that's not been made clear .

Personally, as a Scot and an adopted Manc, I love Scousers - a warm, very funny and big hearted lot, and as often is the case, the reverse of their stereotypes.

And, eyrrrr no, I 'aven gorra trackkie

And to get back to the thread post, the Naim looks good, but as my current hifi collection includes seven turntables, six music "systems", five mini-disks, four CD players, three tape decks, two amplifiers and a partridge in a (no, wait, that's a bit premature…) - I'm a bit short of space for another hifi source.

I find that 95% of my time, I'm listening to music in background on either Spotify (premium) or the BBC's 6 Music channel, both sourced from my 'phone, and played either in one of my cars through my Parrot kit, or in my kitchen through my Sony SRS BTM8 portable (which cost me £50).

And the other 5% of the time, if I'm lucky, it's dedicated vinyl on my rather precious Mitsubishi LT-5V.
Old 18th November 2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
It's very very rare for any comments on this forum to cause offence, and - in my view - one of the easiest ways to do this is to give a little wink when it's meant as a joke - and maybe also to give the poster the benefit of the doubt where that's not been made clear .

And, eyrrrr no, I 'aven gorra trackkie

And to get back to the thread post, the Naim looks good, but as my current hifi collection includes seven turntables, six music "systems", five mini-disks, four CD players, three tape decks, two amplifiers and a partridge in a (no, wait, that's a bit premature…) - I'm a bit short of space for another hifi source.

I find that 95% of my time, I'm listening to music in background on either Spotify (premium) or the BBC's 6 Music channel, both sourced from my 'phone, and played either in one of my cars through my Parrot kit, or in my kitchen through my Sony SRS BTM8 portable (which cost me £50).

And the other 5% of the time, if I'm lucky, it's dedicated vinyl on my rather precious Mitsubishi LT-5V.
+1 very rare, and i might have been adding a bit of fuel to the fire there

That Naim will be the dogs, they don't muck about those boys.
Wow you have some kit, Vinyl is making a big come back coupled with a decent valve amp it's the next big thing. A friends Dad had a LT-5V quality bit of kit, when stuff was engineered and build quality was part of a good design.

I've not tried any of the online stuff yet like Spotify i really should have a look, i've only just in the last couple of weeks got one of those smart phones that can handle high res music so i need to pull my socks up

Last edited by Dezzy; 18th November 2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 18th November 2015, 02:52 PM

I take your point tintin.

Context is key, and I'm sure offence was no ones intention, myself included.

The rationale for me buying the Naim was that I too was playing music largely from my iPhone to a few devices. It worked, but was not aurally in the same league as this.

The (pretentiously titled) mu-so works with streaming services Tidal, Spotify etc and is also an Internet radio and can play music from networked devices, and be hooked up to a CD player or TV via optical in and an external HD (which I'm filling up with FLAC currently) via USB.

It has the added benefit of being controlled from my iPhone/iPad via the Naim app, and streaming audio using AirPlay. So it does what I need and more.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 18th November 2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
The rationale for me buying the Naim was that I too was playing music largely from my iPhone to a few devices. It worked, but was not aurally in the same league as this.
I detect Man Maths, you could have bought a Goodmans bluetooth speaker.

You've made the right choice by the way

Old 18th November 2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I detect Man Maths, you could have bought a Goodmans bluetooth speaker.

You've made the right choice by the way
Ha. I really wanted a Sanyo unit, but just couldn't justify spending the ££££s in the local Tandy

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.

Last edited by Johnmed; 18th November 2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 22nd April 2017, 02:34 PM

Hello guys,

This weird, I have just looked at the Naim bluetooth combo at plc world today and was going to post and found this.

Is this naim better than the BO a9 or Bose kit?

Any other good decent sounding kits.

It will replace my old kit, arcam pre and power amps, bi amped.. maranta ki signature CD player and b&w 505 speakers, plus Stax electrostatic headphones- so sound is absolute paramount.

Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audia8driver View Post
Hello guys,

This weird, I have just looked at the Naim bluetooth combo at plc world today and was going to post and found this.

Is this naim better than the BO a9 or Bose kit?

Any other good decent sounding kits.

It will replace my old kit, arcam pre and power amps, bi amped.. maranta ki signature CD player and b&w 505 speakers, plus Stax electrostatic headphones- so sound is absolute paramount.

Thanks
In a word, yes.

Mind you, my current favourite device for listening to music at home is this TDK A33 Bluetooth portable. Which cost me £20. Great bass, treble, and mid, and powerful enough to just about fill my lounge (or any other room at home), even if I'm running it off the batteries. Sound perception, like musical taste, is personal and more than a bit subjective.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TDK A33 Kitchen.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	489.6 KB
ID:	15941  

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.