A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 12th September 2018, 12:53 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Default Engine mount (?) part number

Hi All

This is a photo of an engine mount (?) on my 2002 S8. It's at the front of the engine on the driver's side and is clearly in need of replacement! The photo is taken from the open bonnet. I have a little knock at slow speeds on rough road surfaces from around this area, so I suspect this might be the culprit. A proper description and part number would be most helpful.

Thanks, Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1951[1].jpg
Views:	291
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	20075  
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 12th September 2018, 01:57 PM

4D0199267 'rubber mounting', about £50 iirc.

When you change it, remove some shims from underneath the body bracket so that the bracket sits neatly on the top of the mounting. The reason it fails is that from the factory the bracket is shimmed to the right height but after 15 years all the main engine mounts have sagged so the engine sits 3-4mm lower than when it was made and it tears this mounting in half. Put plenty of penetrating oil in to the mounting bracket threads from above a day before you start since the bracket collects water and the steel bolts go rusty.
Old 12th September 2018, 02:19 PM

Thanks MJ.

Is it an easy DIY job to remove and replace it, or should I trundle down to my local Audi indy?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 12th September 2018, 02:36 PM

Its easy if you have the front end off. I would say the minimum dismantleage is undertray & bumper off and driver's side headlight out. You may need the front end in service position to get to the bracket bolts though.
Old 12th September 2018, 03:00 PM

Yep, a trip to my local Audi indy is due then. Thanks again. Wish we lived in the south-west!
Old 12th September 2018, 04:49 PM

Here is a couple of photos to give you a better view, when the front is off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2034 (1).jpg
Views:	271
Size:	471.9 KB
ID:	20076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2038.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	20077  

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 14th September 2018, 12:05 AM

Confirm MJ's part no (as if I would ever dare argue)

got my cam belt changed recently and this was gubbed on mine too, approx £60 from our sponsors, my tame mechanic fitted it in about 10 mins, and didnt charge me either, said it was included in the already hefty bill for the cam belt etc change

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 14th September 2018, 10:35 AM

Was that a new one from A8 Parts, Brian?
Old 14th September 2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Was that a new one from A8 Parts, Brian?
No, was a used one, think a new one was around £87

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 14th September 2018, 10:47 AM

I was planning to get mine done when the cam belt needed to be changed. But I only had it done 40K miles ago (January 2015) and, IIRC, the interval is 80K or 6 (?) years. I’d also planned to get the tensioners done (after MJ’s warning at the annual meet), but now I’m thinking I ought to bring this all forward.

Any thoughts guys?