A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 12th November 2018, 09:44 AM

its also possible its the relay as well then will keep you posted, would the indicators not work though when the hazard button is pushed?
Mercedes Benz CLS 500 - Sold
Corsa VXR Nurburgring - Sold
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 12th November 2018, 09:47 AM

Different components powering the same circuits.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th November 2018, 10:53 AM

Thanks andrew does the relay have number on it? or part number?
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 12th November 2018, 11:06 AM

Unfortunately I don't know where the relay(s) are, probably in the passenger footwell panel though.
I don't even know if the flashers and indicators use separate relays or there's a combined unit.

I think the way most such systems work is by closing the circuit on the "earth" side; the bulbs will have a common +12V supply (fused) but are then earthed by the relevant relay(s) to light them up.

Some relevant information here but for US models, there's probably better stuff that others will know: https://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/threads/3006.phtml
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 12th November 2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12th November 2018, 03:42 PM

I just had a look in my Bentley manual and can only see one flasher relay, it's on a panel in the cabin, presumably somewhere under the front passengers feet.

Problem is the Bentley manual only shows the rather different USA (LHD) layout.....
Old 12th November 2018, 04:25 PM

As I recall the relay was 'above' the passenger's feet and behind the glovebox, so 'reasonably' accessible.
1988 UR quattro
2003 A2 FSi Sport
2020 Seat Leon Cupra R ST Abt
1989 911 Carrera Cab
Couple of Mk1 Golf Gti's (in bits)
Old 12th November 2018, 05:49 PM

Not specific, but may help narrow things down: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-my-haza...y-turn-signals
With the symptoms you describe (and assuming there's a single common flasher relay) I'd probably investigate in the sequence fuse, hazards switch, wiring....

Last edited by HPsauce; 12th November 2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12th November 2018, 10:01 PM

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7454

Don’t thank me
Old 12th November 2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS6 View Post
the carpets are a bit wet on the passenger side
This was the first clue as to an underlying cause.

And this is a possible effect:
Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Maybe the water ingress has damaged the relay?
Though the fact that the emergency flashers still work suggest that may not be the whole story. Is the indicator stalk function separately fused?

So the carpets need to come up and the cover off the panel and everything dried out.
Old 13th November 2018, 06:40 PM

i will keep this thread updated

Car is going in for its mot tomorrow, garage has lined up a few jobs so will get them to investigate further, hopefully the hazard switch will turn up so that can also be tested if its not a relay! i had a good look in the passenger side fuse box sunday under the wood all looks dry in there be it a bit damp on the floor so dried it out as best i could, bit hard to see when it keeps raining all the time, took me ages to get the wood back on and lined up again
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold