A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 29th January 2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Is this with the AFS lights? I have an intermittent fault with mine, and is stems from a fracture in the wires inside the headlight unit, caused by light swivelling and the wiring being too tight.
Yes I think that is what my issue is.

There is a fix but it requires a competent person opening the headlight unit up.
I think there is a write up somewhere, I believe the wires are either too short or cable-tied in a place that reduces the slack.

A new headlight will obviously have the same issue but I suppose at least it would work for a few years before fracturing through use..

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 29th January 2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
cable-tied in a place that reduces the slack.
That's exactly the problem. I had considered replacing the cable tie on my good one, so that there is a bit more slack in the wire. As for the other one, I'd thought of repairing the wiring, but it depends if you could get the connector and wiring out far enough to work on it, without having to take the headlight apart.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 29th January 2019, 07:01 PM

Could be taught cables... Although with the same symptoms on mine, it was the headlight control module.
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 12th February 2019, 08:49 PM

So my gremlins have returned with a vengeance, the entire car cut out for a micro second, lost all power whilst on the M40! I properly sh1t myself!

That is bloody dangerous and not sure really what to do now.

I got home but the electrics are all over the place, central locking, interior & exterior lights, startup sequence, needle sweep, all glitchy. I am thinking either loom damage somewhere or water somewhere.

Where are the drains located again?

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 12th February 2019, 10:04 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Possibly a stupid suggestion, since I know nothing about D3s, but could a bad main earthing point be the cause?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 13th February 2019, 07:46 PM

Actually I think you might be on to something. I wonder if there is a test for that?

Old 13th February 2019, 08:03 PM

Battery terminals ok? I had a D2 do something similar when the positive terminal was loose. That blew up the alternator though.

How about that bolted terminal in the footwell that's problematic? Does it have a main power cable feeding in to the electrics box in the passenger side like D2s do?

I'm not sure how you would test for a bad earth. The modules likely wouldn't be able to detect it since they would power down for a moment. There should be a main earth from the battery negative, but I'm not sure how thats done in the D3 with the battery module.

I'd also be searching for the main harness earthing points which are usually under the dash on the A pillars.

It does have a hint of 'nibbled' wiring harness though too.

Very odd.
Old 14th February 2019, 05:20 AM

Could the oil leak have caused some damage to the alternator?

I've seen electrical gremlins manifest themselves through a voltage spike coming from a faulty alternator - a generic OBD reader with the ability to track voltage should be able to map what the alternator is doing.
Plug it in and take the car for a good drive and review the results.

A good clean up of heavy pos and neg terminals would also be a cheap fix if it cures the problem.

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 15th February 2019, 03:54 PM

Leaking battery - I took the battery out and everything underneath is covered in a light film of battery juice, lots of yellowing and corrosion. The corner of the boot closest to the battery was dampish. The outside of the battery was wet.

Please see photos. Any ideas what those modules are? I have disconnected and checked, visually they look ok.

Do we think I have found the culprit?

I hope this is going to be ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84B33037-E5B4-4E0D-82AD-7FEC97990691.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	674.1 KB
ID:	20879   Click image for larger version

Name:	8FBF6791-0095-4084-9B70-4B2D0E99A36F.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	472.3 KB
ID:	20880   Click image for larger version

Name:	BA304C69-9BF3-4C1D-8DAE-1DC3522C72FE.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	20881   Click image for larger version

Name:	779B3645-7450-4A3E-8F04-AF46ECC4BC39.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	599.5 KB
ID:	20882  

Old 15th February 2019, 04:01 PM

Wow, never seen that before. I would put sodium bicarbonate all over it to neutralise it. Does the battery have that 5mm hole in the end that that pipe plugs into like the original? Did it come out?
Do you think it boiled up or is it cracked?