A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 11th July 2017, 09:30 AM

Botang's hole IMHO
Same location on LHD and RHD cars
Old 11th July 2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
That "duct" looks like the main beam that I have seen that goes right across the car inside the dash structure.

Could Botang's hole be the leak?
That's what I was worried about, if that beam goes accross the whole car the leak could be somewhere from the middle then trickle down all the way to one side or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Could well be Bontang's, Worth a dig around for reasurance.
I'll have a look under the ECU box, its on the right side for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Botang's hole IMHO
If that's so, then it definitely doesn't exist on LHD cars, because that area is occupied by the pedal box cut-out, and the area between the pedal box and aircon heat exchanger box in the middle is clearly visible and has no other holes.

I am going to have another look tonight with a borescope camera, first by going along the inside of the duct to see if that reveals anything. My suspicion currently is that its something to do with the huge middle box containing the aircon flaps and heat exchanger, that goes through a cut out in the body doesn't it? Plus it has the scuttle drains below it. Sounds like a potential problem area.

Last edited by Goran; 11th July 2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11th July 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Botang's hole IMHO
Sergey, apologies, I think you are right!
It was raining all day today so when I got home there was a bit of water in the footwell and I could see it trickling down in various places.
As I was trying to plug the square opening in the internal beam with kitchen paper as best as I could I noticed a hole in the roof of that beam which I hadn't seen before. From the inside the hole looked blocked but putting my finger on it water was definitely coming down it.
From the engine bay no hole could be seen. So I grabbed a wooden skewer and stuck it through the hole, it went through easily. Then the hole location was obvious from the engine bay. It is just below the big rubber grommet for wires that go into the cabin.

Stupid, stupid Audi engineers, I curse you, why would you stick paper over a un-used hole then carefully paint it like the rest of the body so its impossible to see from the outside?
Is this some big joke you played on us?
The paint, supported by paper only, naturally develops an invisible crack over time letting water soak through the paper resulting in a perfect stealth leak.
Was it so hard to put a rubber plug into it just like the other unused hole just inches away? Or even weld it up? Grrrrr!

Well I blocked it temporarily from both sides with bathroom silicone sealant, tomorrow I will bolt it up with silicone sealant sandwiched between the bolt and nut.

Hopefully this is the only remaining hole, I will know tomorrow as its going to carry on raining all night.

Pictures to come.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Botangs hole.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	16488  

Last edited by Goran; 11th July 2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12th July 2017, 10:47 AM

Post a picture how it looks like from the top.
It does (!) exist on LHD cars.
Old 12th July 2017, 10:53 AM

Pics for LHD cars:

Last edited by notorious; 12th July 2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12th July 2017, 11:06 AM

As I said in post #2 of this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
As for Botang's hole I would imagine it's in the same place (your drivers side)

That should be easy to plug with a rubber well nut of a suitable size.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	well-nuts-2-l.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	16494  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th July 2017, 11:13 AM

That's it! Exactly the same location. I will post a pic before I plug it. I never new Botang's hole was there, I thought it was further down closer to the middle.
What a nightmare!
The location is pure genius, it is positioned to trickle water down several wiring looms, drip onto relays and onto a group of earthing points on the chassis!

Thanks I will give those bolts a try. I was going to just use an aluminium bolt and washer filled with silicone, but those look better.

Thanks for your help

P.S. even though it rained all night, this morning no more water in the footwell, so hopefully Botang's hole is the only leakage point on mine.

Last edited by Goran; 12th July 2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12th July 2017, 11:18 AM

I used a couple of those well nuts to fix my reversing camera, they work really well. Make sure you get brass (or stainless steel).
Easy to fit, access for fixing needed from one side only, good seal, simple to remove/replace, no problems with corrosion from metal contact.
(And if actually used to fix something are surprisingly strong)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 12th July 2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 14th July 2017, 10:53 PM

Finally fixed it. I couldn't get any of those well nuts in time so I used a M6 aluminium bolt and one of those Audi anodized nuts filled in with silicone rtv sealant and a nylon washer and tightened. It was a right pain to fit the nut and tighten from the inside but surprisingly can be done by one person.
Then filled the whole area where the original fabric patch was with more silicone.

Sorry this pic is upside down

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Botangs hole outside.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	16511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Botangs hole inside.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	16512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Botangs hole filled.jpg