A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 5th December 2017, 07:44 PM

Default washer fluid leak

Hi guys. Another one of my cars annoying niggles. Im going through a gallon of washer fluid every two days. It leaks from either side of the front bumper. As far as I'm aware, you need to remove the front bumper to access the headlamp scooshers.

How much can I access from the wheel arch with the liner removed? - my guess is very little.

What are the likely things I should be looking for? I'm hoping for something as simple as a split hose but are there other likely culprits? I dont want to go to all the hassle of removing the bumper only to find that there is a part that I need to buy and i have to put it all back together just to take it apart again.

I'm fairly sure that it is leaking on the drivers side and is running along the bottom of the bumper and dripping form both sides.

I did seem to lose quite a lot of washer fluid in the summer, but as the lights werent on very often, the headlamp scooshers never did anything, and that seems to be the catalyst for it dumping the entire contents of the tank onto the road.

As a quick fix Im tempted to disconnect the pump for the headlight scooshers and clamp the pipe. I'm almost paying out as much for screenwash as I am for diesel!

The healdight scooshers work fine by the way, plenty pressure etc.

thanks in advance as always, gill
1990 Land Rover 90 factory county station wagon with all the luxury additions, such as a clock and a tape player.
2007 A4 3.0TDi s-line cabriolet quattro
2000 A8 D2 2.8 quattro, looking for a new home - gone
2003 A6 3.0 quattro, in the way... anyone want any parts? - gone
Old 7th December 2017, 04:33 PM

Get yourself some 4mm hose joint connectors. If you have a split pipe you can join them together with the joint.

Currently:
2015 Audi A8 4H Sport Executive Quattro in Monsoon Grey
Old 8th December 2017, 09:23 AM

I'm pretty sure there is only one joining piece and its behind the driver side fog light grill, T piece splitting main feed from the washer bottle to both headlight washers.
Other end goes directly to the top washer pump.
Windscreen jets are plugged in directly to the lower washer pump.

Washer bottle is fairly easy accessible by turning wheel right and undoing the back/left half of the wheel arch liner (carpet one) - 3x torx screws.
No need to remove the wheel, but you can if you want to make it super easy.

I doubt it's a split hose, 90% is the T piece behind the fog light grill which is easy to access by just removing the grill and hose with connection will be just at the bottom behind the bumper held by a metal clip, at least it should be, but I've seen them clips missing before.
On the pump sides you have the fuel line type connections and they are very good.....unless previous owner or garage messed around them.

Very unlikely split washer bottle.

If it's the connection behind the fog light then that would only leak out about 70-80% of the fluid because headlight's pump is located higher than the windscreen one.

Good luck

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 8th December 2017, 09:42 AM

There's another connection that can also sometimes be forced off at the top far left scuttle as you look under the bonnet - its where the pipe goes up and along to the main windscreen washers. mine popped off once there.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 8th December 2017, 09:44 AM

Sorry, yeah, you are right Neil, completely forgot about that one

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 10th December 2017, 10:48 AM

thanks guys. its definitely the headlamp washer end thats leaking, it runs out onto the bumper and drips out in front of both front wheel. occasionally it decides to drop all the fluid out of the reservoir but its only done that a few times. Mine is a prefacelft with the two seperate grilles, can I still access the t-piece without taking the bumper right off?

when i fill the reservoir i get about 8 hours before the light comes on on the dash. that then lasts a few days (in this weather, with all the salt on the roads, the windscreen needs cleaned constantly) The headlight washers work perfectly when the level is up which is why i thought maybe a split hose. Apart from the warning on the dash being really annoying (and the beep noise every time the ignition goes on being even worse), the headlights are terrible in the best conditions, so with them not getting washed they get filthy very quickly and the available light is diminished even more. 95% of my driving is on country roads tghat are covered in mud, with muddy verges so good light is a must (no white lines at the edges of the carriageway etc)
1990 Land Rover 90 factory county station wagon with all the luxury additions, such as a clock and a tape player.
Old 13th December 2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erubus View Post
the headlights are terrible in the best conditions, so with them not getting washed they get filthy very quickly and the available light is diminished even more. 95% of my driving is on country roads tghat are covered in mud, with muddy verges so good light is a must (no white lines at the edges of the carriageway etc)
Pair of Cibie Oscars

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 14th December 2017, 05:44 PM

My PF D3 did the same in the cold, you need to make sure the wash concentrate is strong enough, otherwise it freezes in the pipe, and pops the connector off with the pressure.

I know.. I know..

Old 15th December 2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
My PF D3 did the same in the cold, you need to make sure the wash concentrate is strong enough, otherwise it freezes in the pipe, and pops the connector off with the pressure.
Part of the reason I think there might be a split pipe or something else more broken-y. If the hose had popped off altogether I wouldn't have any headlamp washers at all. They work great though, just the fluid constantly leaks.

I have been too busy to get the thing apart to have a look at it so far. I've finally relented and decided to put heating in my house. Ive actually switched the fridge off because the kitchen is colder (average 3 degrees). I have most of the pipes in, the boiler is in place just have to connect up a few more radiators and do a bit more pipework under the floor.

After that I need to fix the Land Rover so I can tow a trailer without getting stopped (trailer light socket doesnt work), sort the radiator panel which has dropped making the fan hit off the cowling,then go and pick up an oil tank then get all that connected up and commission it. I have been told by the MIL that it needs to be up and running before christmas when she comes to stay for a couple of days. I'm not entirely sure Ive ever been forgiven for expecting her to sleep in a room that was below freezing!
Old 24th April 2018, 02:39 PM

Late to this i know but here are pics of mine. Simple split pipe just where it bends to go to the washer jet.. Been leaking for 2 years but just sorted it. Took 10 mins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180424_143935.jpg
Views:	960
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	18582   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180424_144004.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	18583