A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 28th August 2015, 07:55 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Default Are Teslas any good?

I bet that got a reaction from those who've driven them!

But look at this: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...=BBD082615_BIZ
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 28th August 2015, 09:24 AM

Its interesting that it was marked down for the "quality of internal materials". I raised this with their rep at the annual meet and in a subsequent email pointing out that they were competing against top end cars at that price and it was just not as good in that area.
Old 30th August 2015, 03:00 PM

The other disappointment is that it did not achieve the factory 0-60 time.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/20/t...e-as-promised/

Reading a bit more about this, it appears that is because Tesla used 1-foot rollout for published figures for P85D, but used true 0-60 for their other models.
Its a real shame they were not clear about this, which also calls into question their claim about beating the McLaren F1 time which is without rollout.

With the new Ludicrous update P85D will probably match the McLaren, but they should have waited and not gone to press with false figures.

Still wouldn't stop me from buying one, just that I didn't expect such underhand tactics from this company.
Old 30th August 2015, 04:57 PM

Tesla has no grab handles (which I need to get in and out) FFS
Old 7th September 2015, 07:06 PM

I have just been across to Belgium (Driving through the Netherlands) on holiday in the 8 and saw 2 Grey model S Teslas

One was doing a steady 120kph in the middle lane as I wafted by - twas the door handles that alerted me to its presence.

The other was doing a steady 90 on the back of a recovery vehicle
Green Alcantara Headlining, Pillars, Rear Shelf, Door Inserts
Green Trimmed Mats, Seatbelts, Steering Wheel, Centre Armrests
DAB, Freeview, ACC, 4-Zone Climate, Soft Close, Electric Blinds

Old 7th September 2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAM View Post

The other was doing a steady 90 on the back of a recovery vehicle
I know I shouldn't, but.......

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 7th September 2015, 09:05 PM

Don't forget though - that recovery truck would never have got up to 90 unless it had a car with the superb aerodynamics and streamlining of the tesla broken down on the back of it!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 8th September 2015, 08:13 PM

They've got the battery tech, but other manufacturers, Audi for example have got a lot of experience building cars, lightweight construction, ASF etc.. I'm not convinced by that huge screen in the middle of the dash, the implementation is so American, and cheap. A new Audi Q7, TT, B9 A4 with the virtual cockpit and latest infotainment systems with connect is beautiful to look at and use.

Audi have the battery tech in place, but they're not rushing into it. People get into an Audi and expect it to work, with a a Tesla, they know they're taking a punt on some new tech.

I really can't see what the attraction'll be once more established brands have the battery tech launched.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 8th September 2015, 08:43 PM

Have you tried one Amar?
Old 8th September 2015, 09:05 PM

Nope.

I'd like to - I imagine I'd be seriously shocked/impressed with the performance. I dislike the looks, cannot stand a cheap interior, and couldn't give a toss about green credentials or fuel economy.

Has anyone sat in a modern Audi, new Q7/TT for example. They've moved the interior quality and ergonomic game up another few notches, that, combined with the battery tech (that already exists within Audi) will be the way to go IMHO.

I really don't get the Tesla hype.

P.S There's a video online somewhere (search it) of an RS 7 murdering that new P85D in a drag race.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds