A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 11th June 2013, 10:28 PM

Default D2 S8 ramblings

ok, so 500 miles or so into ownership, here's some thoughts about the car and the way it drives, plus some other stuff - forgive the random thoughts, just interested in other owners comparing to their experiences.

Just to give you an idea of some recent cars I've owned (recent first)

E39 530i & Golf V6 4Motion
E60 525d
E65 730d
E90 330d
Allroad 2.5 TDi
M3 CSL
M3
Golf R32 Mk5
Impreza WRX
Golf V6 4motion
Alfa 155 V6

Firstly the boring bits - economy etc. I'm averaging 21-22mpg on vPower, have started off babying it a bit to get used to the car and get it settled into being used again. Tonight was the first proper outing it's had with a 70 mile fast-ish run home. Clearly this car doesn't want babying, it wants driving 65mph on the motorway is fine for economy, but the car doesn't behave as smoothly or as confidently as at 85-ish. It's clearly happier when pushing on and when you grab hold of it.

Tyre pressures - mine were a bit low at the weekend, I set them to 35 all round on Sunday, hated it (terrible ride behaviour), then have gone to 33 and it's much better, suspect 32 or 32.5 psi will end up being the norm. I've never owned a car so damn sensitive to tyre pressure !

The wipers are crap. Very lethargic and the standard blades are rubbish on a pretty new screen, so I've ordered some Bosch Aerotwin replacements.

Xenons not bad but again have ordered replacement D2S bulbs to freshen things up.

Slow starting problem - this is being looked at next week, it;s annoying more than anything as you want a feeling from a car like this that it's stonrg form the word go.

Gearbox - it strains quite heavily against the brakes at junctions, lights etc and I find myself knocking it into neutral a lot whilst waiting to pull off. Also it doesn't always pick up quickly enough but the 5-speed ZF in my 2002 530i does the same.

Engine warming up - takes a long time to get to 90 degrees C. I'd say 5-10 miles more than all my previous cars. Anyone else noticed this ?

Nav - actually the RNS-D is not bad for the older nav technology but I'm looking into RNS-E + BT to freshen up the car properly.

There's no doubt more thoughts to come but apart from the niggly bits that need sorting (slow start, rear caliper and a few cosmetic bits) I can see why these beautifully made cars have such a following. It's special and I'm doing the "looking back at the car after locking it" thing so that's a very good sign !

Oh and I love the electric rear sunblind

Old 12th June 2013, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs32 View Post
ok, so 500 miles or so into ownership, here's some thoughts about the car and the way it drives, plus some other stuff - forgive the random thoughts, just interested in other owners comparing to their experiences.

Just to give you an idea of some recent cars I've owned (recent first)

E39 530i & Golf V6 4Motion
E60 525d
E65 730d
E90 330d
Allroad 2.5 TDi
M3 CSL
M3
Golf R32 Mk5
Impreza WRX
Golf V6 4motion
Alfa 155 V6

Firstly the boring bits - economy etc. I'm averaging 21-22mpg on vPower, have started off babying it a bit to get used to the car and get it settled into being used again. Tonight was the first proper outing it's had with a 70 mile fast-ish run home. Clearly this car doesn't want babying, it wants driving 65mph on the motorway is fine for economy, but the car doesn't behave as smoothly or as confidently as at 85-ish. It's clearly happier when pushing on and when you grab hold of it.

Tyre pressures - mine were a bit low at the weekend, I set them to 35 all round on Sunday, hated it (terrible ride behaviour), then have gone to 33 and it's much better, suspect 32 or 32.5 psi will end up being the norm. I've never owned a car so damn sensitive to tyre pressure !

The wipers are crap. Very lethargic and the standard blades are rubbish on a pretty new screen, so I've ordered some Bosch Aerotwin replacements.

Xenons not bad but again have ordered replacement D2S bulbs to freshen things up.

Slow starting problem - this is being looked at next week, it;s annoying more than anything as you want a feeling from a car like this that it's stonrg form the word go.

Gearbox - it strains quite heavily against the brakes at junctions, lights etc and I find myself knocking it into neutral a lot whilst waiting to pull off. Also it doesn't always pick up quickly enough but the 5-speed ZF in my 2002 530i does the same.

Engine warming up - takes a long time to get to 90 degrees C. I'd say 5-10 miles more than all my previous cars. Anyone else noticed this ?

Nav - actually the RNS-D is not bad for the older nav technology but I'm looking into RNS-E + BT to freshen up the car properly.

There's no doubt more thoughts to come but apart from the niggly bits that need sorting (slow start, rear caliper and a few cosmetic bits) I can see why these beautifully made cars have such a following. It's special and I'm doing the "looking back at the car after locking it" thing so that's a very good sign !

Oh and I love the electric rear sunblind

Glad you're injoying it

The 20's leave little room for flex, so I guess tyres pressures will make a difference. If you want it comfy, run 18's. If you want it sporty, run the 20's and enjoy it lol

Long time to warm up isnt great - the S8 is rev happy to say the least, would expect it to be up to temp before that..... new thermostat required perhaps ?

The D2 is pretty robust. As long as the gearbox is good, the rest is not a big concern.

Interesting to see you come from a long line of beemers - The D2 isnt noted for having some of the good characteristics that you find in a rear wheel drive motor, but at the same time, in England, it is useable all year round lol

I'm actually a big fan of the M3, but wouldnt actually want to own one as a daily...... Seems a bit compact, and weather dependent

Enjoy the S8, the addiction will set in soon, if it hasnt already

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Old 12th June 2013, 06:59 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post

The 20's leave little room for flex, so I guess tyres pressures will make a difference. If you want it comfy, run 18's. If you want it sporty, run the 20's and enjoy it lol

Long time to warm up isnt great - the S8 is rev happy to say the least, would expect it to be up to temp before that..... new thermostat required perhaps ?
IIRC, this one's running on 19" wheels - best of both worlds?

And my S8 is warmed up within 3 or 4 miles at this time of year. Was the thermostat and water pump replaced with the belt?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 12th June 2013, 07:09 AM

water pump was replaced last October (not sure about temp sensor)

car going in for rear caliper(s) and brake fluid change next week so will see what my Indy wants to do with the slow start and engine temp points
Old 12th June 2013, 07:15 AM

My 8 is up to temp after about the same 4 - 5 miles since i changed the therostat. Can be done with the front end inplace too, but is a bit of a knuckle stuffer. Rear calipers are common. Slowstart could just be your battery coming to the end of it's life, put a battery booster or jusp leads on it see if it makes a difference.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 12th June 2013, 07:25 AM

battery is new in the last 2 months

the wheels mystery continues, the spare is audi 4D0 601 025 AE which is a 20" and from a google search suggests S8 fitment but the design is different to the FE !

suspect I'll end up trying to source a set of 18's all round
Old 12th June 2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I am running on 19" and I started off with 36 psi tyre pressure but tyres were wearing a lot on sides, it does not help that I am mostly using car on short local trips and around the town. In couple of months tyres had noticeably worn on the sides while the middle was like new. So I increased tyre pressure to 42 and this has evened out tyre wear.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 12th June 2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Interesting to see you come from a long line of beemers - The D2 isnt noted for having some of the good characteristics that you find in a rear wheel drive motor, but at the same time, in England, it is useable all year round lol
didn't spot this when you replied before IT - I've hankered after a V8 something for a while now, this car would have been an E39 540i probably apart from the fact that the steering is awful on them and it felt dreary compared to the 530i. Plus I've kind of done the RWD thing now - maybe again in the future

regarding the useable all year round bit - the grippiest car I've ever owned (apart from my Mk5 R32) was in fact ....... the M3 CSL. Astonishing and more than comfortable keeping up with a well driven RS4 across 650 miles of Scottish roads driving a few years back. That CSL will stay with me for the rest of my life - incredible car. But if it snows ...... forget it

But onwards and upwards - I'm still smiling after pushing it a bit on the way home last night, haven't driven the car today but I have just fitted a new pair of 66240 Osram D2S (definitely fresher than the old ones and look like a better design) and the Aerotwin wipers (instant improvement and much smoother across the screen)

just had confirmation that rear calipers, fluid change, engine temp sensor & speed sensor are all being done next Wed at my trusted place (APS in Brackley)
Old 15th June 2013, 09:16 PM

well today I've asked the car to deliver a safe 320 miles round trip to North Wales and back ........ and it's been faultless.

Comfortable, fast when needed, economical for what it is and has been a real pleasure to drive.

A few things I'm starting to think need some tinkering with - definitely the tyres, that is in hand - but I'm looking at some Bilstein B6 to replace the OEM shocks and boy does this car need a Milltek cat-back !

I run the Bilsteins on my Golf and they are spot on with the OEM springs - hopefully this will also be the case on the S8.

However need sell my E39 first, then there is budget available to freshen the suspension and give the car a proper voice !

A quick question - would I be sensible to do front top-mounts if replacing the shocks all round ?

Also does anyone else get the drivers side plastic panel under the bonnet (closest to windscreen) rattling away ? Bloody annoying.

Oh and the wipers now actually work since fitting the aerotwin blades, but they are still terrible wonder if the motor is a bit tired but it's like the wipers are from another era
Old 15th June 2013, 10:11 PM

For wipers give yourself a favour and order Audi genuine SWF wipers. They are the best available. Audi part numbers: 4B0 955 425 and 4A0 955 425 B. Refresh wiper arms too if they are rusty, missing some elements or twisted. Wiper arms are still available from Audi. In future you can buy SWF rubbers which are very easy to change without any tools required. Rubbers are the same for right and left sides, part number 895 955 429 A.

>> Also does anyone else get the drivers side plastic panel under
>> the bonnet (closest to windscreen) rattling away

If you're talking about scuttle panel it should be normally very well attached. If you'll plan to replace wiper arms it will be easy to remove scuttle panel when wiper arms are out and inspect it. I personally never had a problem with it. Scuttle panel has rubber strip and should adjoin windscreen without gaps.