A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 17th June 2013, 07:57 PM

well after a couple of hours effort I cannot find the rattle so far. Had the panel off that covers the wiper motor on the drivers side, found that the lower windscreen trim wasn't properly fitted - fixed that but no joy with the rattle. It's not the cover panel itself as still does it with that off the car.

Then had the lower dash off below the steering wheel, whichever feckin monkey fitted a phone kit previously needs shooting as they broke half the fixings putting it back together and did a pretty poor job all round. So need to order some new bits at some stage to put that right. It really pees me off when "professional" fitters do this and the owners are probably none the wiser.

grrrrrr
Old 17th June 2013, 10:37 PM

I feel your pain. Real professionals are extremely rare.

Can't help with rattle. Rattles are deceptive. I can only say that usually rattle comes from completely different location than you expect. Try to cross check with passenger.
Old 19th June 2013, 04:43 PM

ok so after taking the drivers side wiper off, setting the correct blade angle on the spindle then tightening up properly my wipers now seem to be working much better, the motor seems stronger generally - suspect maybe the mechanism was partially siezed through lack of use but much better now

had the rear calipers replaced today and 5.1 brake fluid change - brakes immediately stronger and more progressive, and handbrake now on a nice tight 3-clicks whereas it barely worked before.

engine coolant temp sensor replaced but has made no difference to the slow starting issue when the car is warm. Next stop is fuel pump relay (relay 6) which I'll do this weekend.

all undertray fixings also replaced as they were all rotten.

car driving really nicely and had range after fillup showing as 590 miles last night.
Old 19th June 2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs32 View Post
car driving really nicely and had range after fillup showing as 590 miles last night.
Jees! That's amazing - don't think I've ever seem more than 450 miles quoted even after the most optimistic warm fill up lol

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 19th June 2013, 05:05 PM

to be fair I had done 65mph steady for 50 miles beforehand.

what was even better was paying for £108 of vPower in £1 coins after pulling 260 of the little beggars out of a fruit machine at Newport Pagnell services. Winner !

They loved me at the till
Old 5th July 2013, 09:31 PM

first bad thing to happen with the S8 today.

got out to the car this evening to find that the drivers side windows glass has splintered around the round cap towards the top left - must have had a weakness or something has flown into it at a guess. Bugger.

wondering whether I pick up a spare from A8 Parts or just bite the bullet and get Audi to fit me a new one. Suspect I could do it myself given I've done similar with my Golf when working on the car for audio.

and after fitting my new fuel pump relay in a bid to cure the warm slow starting problem - it started perfectly for about 8 times then has gone back to the old behaviour !
Old 6th July 2013, 07:03 AM

Be warned that the twin pane door glass is about 300 quid new from Audi, so used would be preferable. May be covered on your glass insurance, unless that specifically excludes glass other than the windscreen?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 12th September 2013, 07:14 PM

Most spares seem to be OEM for the D2 S8 so that usually means £££££ from Audi or a decent used part from A8 Spares, that's a bit of a downside to this car.

Re your wiper problem - its actually quite a well known issue apparently - that over years the linkage arms seize up due to dirt and grime and the wipers get slower and slower, putting a lot of strain on the motor and eventually it all grinds to a halt. Mine has just done that and I changed the linkage at the same time as the wiper motor, sourcing parts via A8 Parts. All back to normal now, I just use Bosch blades, they work pretty well.
Old 13th September 2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I feel your pain. Real professionals are extremely rare.
I work in the motor trade and completely agree.

I have a lot of customers, and would maybe take a car to a maximum of 5 of them.

Too many cowboys with a spanner set!1
Old 5th November 2013, 08:22 PM

well after not many months the car is for sale. It's just been MOT'd and is available for viewing in the Warwickshire area - will stick an advert up shortly.

Just been MOT'd, needs 2 new front tyres and it's having the fuel pump/recirculation fixed and an abs sensor replaced.

all sensible offers considered for a quick sale - please PM me if you want to know more.