A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 12th February 2014, 10:16 AM

Default Fuel consumption... what are you getting?

Hi guys,

Thought I would ask as my A8 seems to be verrrry thirsty!

Currently, according to on board computer, which I have set to display the consumption in litres/km, it shows around 18l / 100KM (ca 15MPG) but in real life it is more like 20l / 100KM (ca 14 MPG).

I must say my foot is not very heavy! I do not hammer the car! Doing short distances though might not help.

What are you guys getting?

Cheers,
Tom
VW SCIROCCO MK1 '78 | ??BHP -LHD
PORSCHE 924 '81
PORSCHE 944 '84
Audi A8 4.2 Quattro PF
Old 12th February 2014, 10:22 AM

Does sound a bit thirsty.. how fast are you going?

I know.. I know..

Old 12th February 2014, 10:45 AM

My S8 has averaged 16mpg (measured on filled tank basis and about 5-10% more accurate than relying on DIS depending on usage) over 3 years I've owned it

Worst of 12 and best of 21 on high octane fuel. Would expect a bit better from an A8

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 12th February 2014, 10:54 AM

I get very similar figures in my 4.2 PF fella, it's "around the doors" that kills it, in more ways than one. I hate using it for work (a ten minute journey) but weather sometimes dictates I have to. I've seen around 24 mpg on journeys to your neck of the woods, I just don't drive it any great distance often enough. Since I was informed the short trips were contributing to some of the problems I've had with the car I make a point of extending my journey sometimes and giving it a good blast once it's warmed through, it always ensures I end my journey with a smile and, after all, it's hardly going to hurt the fuel consumption

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 12th February 2014, 12:38 PM

Cheers guys. Yeah, on the motorway it is not that bad... shop/train station journeys must be quite demanding
VW SCIROCCO MK1 '78 | ??BHP -LHD
PORSCHE 924 '81
PORSCHE 944 '84
Audi A8 4.2 Quattro PF
Old 12th February 2014, 01:38 PM

Frankly i havent a clue. The DIS says 22mpg overall but i cant be a**ed working it out and keeping records. My wife says its a lot and says thats why i ditched the petrol log! The_Laird keeps a detailed spreadsheet but is away on hols at the mo' but he runs 60-70 miles aday going to work.

Around town is a killer .
Old 12th February 2014, 07:07 PM

Even my 2.8 struggles to get much mpg when doing the 3 and a bit miles to work about 22mpg. If I get chance to let the old girl stretch her legs though 34 mpg isn't difficult. Sadly it does journeys to work than anything else

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 12th February 2014, 10:22 PM

I try to drive sensibly & average around 20mpg.

If I'm hooning it a bit, Iv saw average as low as 6mpg and instant mpg of ---
Old 13th February 2014, 01:53 PM

I'm currently showing 14.7 mpg on my DIS after a couple of hundred miles of local driving, I'll do a check when I fill up and compare. I suspect it isn't far off as I've seen it as low as 15 mpg several times. I'm filling up for a jaunt up the east coast to Monifieth this weekend so should get a chance to get it to 20+mpg, we'll see

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 13th February 2014, 03:21 PM

Got 44 mpg the other day going through to Edinburgh.. though traffic was only doing high 50's... Over 30 on a normal motorway run though...

I know.. I know..