A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 5th April 2018, 05:44 PM

Default Manifold flaps

Hi Andy,

Good luck, watching with interest. Manifold never taken off in my ownership from 60,000.

Regards

Richardracer
2006 Audi S8 V10 Now Sold. Akoya Silver with black/grey leather, standard 20" wheels, hybrid TV, Bang & Olufssen audio, Heated seats front and rear, Dension ipod integration, DAB radio, keyless entry, rear electric blind, bluetooth connection to Apple iphone6S. Started at 60,000 miles end April 12. Now 171,500 miles as at Oct 2017. Now sold to fellow forum member.
Old 5th April 2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
If you call Will or Aaron at VRS and mention that Lee sent you, they should be able to sort you out, they are good guys there. 01604 705 247

They have done 3 S8s and an S6 on my recommendation and as far as I know, all are happy - I know I was.

I am not connected to them other than use them on my cars, specifically the TT now
I was one of those S8s ! Couldn’t be happier, they really looked after me, completed the entire job and a couple of unexpected issues along the way. I would completely recommend VRS.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 6th April 2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
A long post, I know, but there is an urgent question at the end so please bear with me

I've half succumbed and half been forced to do the full decoking and intake manifold flap removal work on my S8 over the last couple of weeks.

FSI = F*cking Stupid Idea

Do you have any equivalent pictures after the de-coke work / clean was done?
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 10th April 2018, 02:40 PM

Unfortunately not, since the top of the engine and manifold was all removed to investigate a small oil leak, that's when the broken manifold flaps were discovered and I desperately tried to find a place that will do just the manifold work otherwise I would have taken the car to one of the previously mentioned places to get them to do the whole work.

Should have the car back this week so will immediately book it in with AMD Essex to get the carbon build up within the engine looked at (they do it in situ by hand). I'll ask them nicely if they can take some before/after pictures.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 10th April 2018, 03:34 PM

Ok thanks. I am interested to see the results with different cleaning methods and workshops. Here's my before and after
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 13th April 2018, 04:18 PM

Just having the work done to gut the manifold has certainly improved the intake sound. Much deeper and throatier from in the car with the windows open or closed under any level of acceleration.

Next job is imminent, which is a decoke of the engine and a dyno/remap to tell the car how it should now be running, as well as tweaking to turn off the engine light which has come on due to the flaps being removed from the manifold, but that was expected.
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 13th April 2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Just having the work done to gut the manifold has certainly improved the intake sound. Much deeper and throatier from in the car with the windows open or closed under any level of acceleration
I agree, the induction sound is slightly richer after the flap delete. I have also wired the exhaust flaps open on my stock exhaust which really add to the overall sound package.

Pleased you found a source for the decoke, not long now until she’ll be back to tip-top performance!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 13th April 2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
I have also wired the exhaust flaps open on my stock exhaust which really add to the overall sound package.
I was crawling underneath the rear bumper to tie the flaps open the next morning after I bought the car if there's one mod that S8 owners should be doing, it's this one. Had one pair of the centre silencers removed and replaced with straight pipe as well, which opens things up a bit more.

- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 13th April 2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I was crawling underneath the rear bumper to tie the flaps open the next morning after I bought the car if there's one mod that S8 owners should be doing, it's this one. Had one pair of the centre silencers removed and replaced with straight pipe as well, which opens things up a bit more.

I can vouch for this mod, I had it done after seeing your report, what a difference it makes! Everyone says it's quite loud now, but I don't hear it in that luxurious cabin. It's great fun driving with the window down in places where I can hear it roar as it accelerates or that glorious cacophony of noise as blips and changes down under engine braking

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 28th June 2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
If you call Will or Aaron at VRS and mention that Lee sent you, they should be able to sort you out, they are good guys there. 01604 705 247

They have done 3 S8s and an S6 on my recommendation and as far as I know, all are happy - I know I was.

I am not connected to them other than use them on my cars, specifically the TT now
I have just spoken to VRS and they now charge £1500 +VAT for this job which includes BMC filter, gaskets, carbon clean (by hand), remap and dyno afterwards. I didn't think it would be so much but I will still get it done in the coming months.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder