A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 7th October 2018, 03:32 PM

Default break wear indicator bypass D2 FL

due to a broken wire on one disc I have run for a long time with the break wear indicator illuminated ; if I understand correctly this will no longer pass the MOT
at the same time I have had an intermittent vibration on the front which I traced to the pistons on one brake not retracting [ temperature would mount to 400C as compared to 150C the other side ]

as the pads were about half worn I decided to have them changed at the same time ,hence fix the indicator

well the vibration has disappeared ....but the indicator has not ! the best laid plants of mice and men etc

so after a read of our colour blind librarian's sticky I decided a by pass was the best solution , stripped out the dash and tried to find the required brown and black wire ; can I find it , can I **** ; plenty of brown wires , some with other colours on them, but no black ; maybe I am developing colour blindness !

has any one else tried this on on a FL ? or does anyone know another method ?

as we say in france M'aidez ,M'aidez
Old 7th October 2018, 03:47 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

I am a Librarian not an author!

Did you read this?

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...nsorshort.html

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 7th October 2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
I am a Librarian not an author!

Did you read this?

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...nsorshort.html
of course I did !
who authored the sticky then ?
Old 7th October 2018, 07:35 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

The Sticky is a catalogue not a novel. I

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 12th October 2018, 08:56 AM

I wondered if anyone would notice the deliberate mistake in my thread title
is it just me that noticed that the stickies have both axles and axels ?
Old 12th October 2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebesset View Post
I wondered if anyone would notice the deliberate mistake in my thread title
is it just me that noticed that the stickies have both axles and axels ?
The spelling differences could be due to a number of things. It could be to do with the region of the world in which the article was written (colour in the UK, color in the US), it could be to do with the author not having English as their native language and spelling the word phonetically (ax-el v. axle), or it could be my favourite and that is a combination of laziness and sending TXT messages. Since the advent of TXT messages and the abbreviation of every word, fewer people care if they spell things correctly or not, and will use the excuse 'they will know what I mean' e.g. 'break wear indicator'.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 12th October 2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
it could be my favourite and that is a combination of laziness and sending TXT messages. Since the advent of TXT messages and the abbreviation of every word, fewer people care if they spell things correctly or not

e.g. 'break where'
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 19th October 2018, 01:43 PM

having tried without success to by pass this warning light I have read up a little on the reality of the MOT failure
having just fitted new pads [ not quite run in ] I find the following on a website called mottester

brake pad warning light illuminated is a failure......unless it can be seen that there is another reason

clearly that is the case here with new pads ......or is it ?

any comment appreciated
Old 19th October 2018, 02:45 PM

I guess that depends on the individual tester.

Assuming the problem is in the ABS sensor cable assembly and not the body harness, it would be possible to make a plug n play adapter that sits between the two connectors which completes the pad sensor circuit.

Or of course trace the fault in the wiring and repair it. Its usually corroded or loose pins in the connector at the caliper or the other end where it joins the body harness. I've seen one with a break in the cable assembly - if its got alloy hubs the ABS sensor assembly is cheap enough.

I meant to look up which connector it is on the cluster but I forgot sorry!

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 19th October 2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 19th October 2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I guess that depends on the individual tester.

Assuming the problem is in the ABS sensor cable assembly and not the body harness, it would be possible to make a plug n play adapter that sits between the two connectors which completes the pad sensor circuit.

Or of course trace the fault in the wiring and repair it. Its usually corroded or loose pins in the connector at the caliper or the other end where it joins the body harness. I've seen one with a break in the cable assembly - if its got alloy hubs the ABS sensor assembly is cheap enough.

I meant to look up which connector it is on the cluster but I forgot sorry!
tks again mikki , but I'm not clear where the ABS sensor comes into this ; I'm aware of cars where the pad sensor is combined with a handbrake sensor but didn't think this applied with on the D2 ...are you saying that the ABS sensor is combined with the pad sensor in some way ? there is no ABS light illuminated