D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 14th October 2010, 10:36 AM

Default Engine Warning Light. Please Help

I have these two fault codes:

005504 - Throttle Actuator (Bank 1): Malfunction
P1580 - 008 - Implausible Signal

004203 - Throttle Valve: Stuck or difficult to move
P106B - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

Can someone point me in the right direction on which part to buy. It is causing a little arm to keep moving under the hood, which in turn is making a very deep "basey" sounding "hunt" on idle and when driving. I am assuming I can just replace the "bank 1" throttle body?

Has anyone had or heard of this before?

Any help greatly appreciated as I need this fixed asap.

Bex.

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.

Last edited by A8L Chick; 14th October 2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:07 AM

Just to add the car isn't in "limp mode" and boosts fine, asides this annoying noise and slight (very slight) surging (and the light on the dash) the car runs fine

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 14th October 2010, 12:51 PM

The arm you can see moving on one bank may well be the actuator for the inlet port shut off valves. These can sieze up (especially if using cheap fuel) and the extar forxe required to move them causes the shaft that moves them to break! Remedy is replacing the inlet manifold on the effected side.

Could you take a pic of the arm you can see moving so we can be sure we're talking about the correct part.
Old 14th October 2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPerformance View Post
The arm you can see moving on one bank may well be the actuator for the inlet port shut off valves. These can sieze up (especially if using cheap fuel) and the extar forxe required to move them causes the shaft that moves them to break! Remedy is replacing the inlet manifold on the effected side.

Could you take a pic of the arm you can see moving so we can be sure we're talking about the correct part.
I shall do this now

Thank you.

I have been using Shell Diesel Extra for the most part

Old 14th October 2010, 04:48 PM

BUGGER, I have posted this in the D2 section, my car is a D3 3.0 TDI QUATTRO... doh

Here are some pics of what is happening (please excuse the quality, I was rushing to get the pictures when the parts were in the 2 different positions so you can actually understand what I mean )

Ok this bit:

And this bit:

Which are here & here:

Are doing this simmultaniously:

to

AND

This:

To this:

They move in sync, as if they are connected somewhere under all the gubbins, and the deep bassey noise coming from the exhausts is also in sync with the "opening and closing / up down of these two parts....???

Confused

I am

Old 15th October 2010, 01:46 AM

Thanks for putting this into the right section

Old 19th October 2010, 12:12 AM

No replies... this means it can't be good... eek

Old 19th October 2010, 08:09 AM

I think this one needs Ben to look at He'll be around soon I guess.

I know.. I know..

Old 31st December 2010, 11:18 PM

Just in case anyone else has this problem with their D3 '8, I took Audrey to my local Main dealer for guided fault finding (1 hour only)

They found the problem to be the throttle control valve.

It was replaced today (again by main dealer) and all is now well. YIPPEE

Total cost (parts + labour) was £550.00 (+1 hour diag @ £115.00) so all in all £665.00 - not too bad.

Old 1st January 2011, 11:47 AM

I forgot to add, this is more common a problem with the 3.0TD engine, also, it's more commonly seen in the Q7's (same engine). So if anyone you know with these symptoms has a Q7, it's likely this may be it.

Bex