A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 19th August 2011, 08:08 AM

Default Engine diagnosis requested - Machine gun clicking noise

Dear Forum members,

Your combined expertese is requested on the following problem that developed this morning on the way to work. Happened in the following order:

1. Glow plug light started flashing, turbo not working. So the usual cure of on and off cleared the light, but after a couple of hundred metres it came on again. Repeated to similar effect.

2. Left it a bit longer and re-started. Now the Engine Amber light illumintated, glow plug light not on anymore. Turbo working again.

3. Had to get out to open a gate and this is where I heard the noise from the engine bay. A 'machine gun' rattle of 5 reasonable loud clicks, a short pause, then repeat. Noise sounded like a very large relay clicking away rythmically. Noise appeared to emminate from NSF of engine bay.

4. I switched the engine off and it gave out about 10 more clicks (engine had stopped so would seem to be electrical) before stopping.

The last 2 were repeated on the final start. Engine seems to be running fine, Air sus seems fine, cruise control worked (common to stop with an ECU failure, I understand).

There, however, is the limit of my knowledge. Has anyone suffered a similar problem? Please tell me its a cheap fix!

CBA
Old 19th August 2011, 09:08 AM

Difficult to do a proper diagnosis without seeing / scanning the car but it sounds like the throttle body.

Had a friend with similar symptoms (assuming you have a V6), the noise was coming from the throttle body (just behind NSF headlight) but when removing the engine cover the VNT and EGR actuators were moving to and fro randomly - which was adding to the tapping noise.

When I scanned the car I got the following faults :

004203 - Throttle Valve: Stuck or difficult to move
P106B - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

005504 - Throttle Actuator (Bank 1): Malfunction
P1580 - 008 - Implausible Signal

When I removed the throttle body the flap was seized and the internal plastic gears stripped so I had to replace the throttle body.

I hope your problem isn't this as the part alone is in the region of £300

Where are you based ?, maybe you can find somebody local who can scan it for you.
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles

Last edited by Godders; 19th August 2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:59 PM

Sounds to me if it is a 3.0 TDi that the actuator arm on the manifold has snapped.