A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 6th December 2011, 03:31 PM

Default Aaaaarrrrgghhhhh!

So had Four Rings come out and have a look at my 8. the boot motor is intermittently not working (which is annoying). While dean was here i told him i noticed an error on vcds relating to the OS inlet manifold. So anyway he has a look and you can see the runner has sheared off. Now RAC warranty havent authorised work yet. They wont authorise for the boot either until they have agreed or not the manifold.

Also as i have discussed my gearbox is making a funny honking noise. Managed to recreate it for Dean an he definetely agreed it was gearbox, between 3rd and 4th. As to what that means tho, who knows.

So when i have moved house, on the 14th, thank God!!, i will book in (if warranty covers) for OS inlet manifold replacement (£1200), fuel filter, 2 new air filters (maybe K&N), gearbox fluid service and new filter, new boot motor and switch plus a standard oil service...oh and maybe brake fluid change and brakes as well.

Gulp.....
Old 6th December 2011, 04:45 PM

be careful getting the gbox serviced, it could make it worse
Old 6th December 2011, 06:22 PM

The honk is probably needing a filter/fluid job on the gearbox. Mine was doing that on kickdown and a change sorted it out.

I know.. I know..

Old 6th December 2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
be careful getting the gbox serviced, it could make it worse
Be keen to hear why U say that as my gearbox needs a Service......

" Love the Sound of a V8....... All Day " *still wish it was a V10*

2002 S8 D2 F/L
H & R Springs, Koni Coil Overs, Dastek Chip, Sport Exhaust, 19" S5 Rims, Solar Sun Roof (Cause we have Sun) and most of the Bells & Whistles.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:55 PM

there are plenty of stories on this forum about gearboxes failing immediately after a service, mine included.

Nobody really knows why, but speculation is that it dislodges some gunge somewhere that was holding everything together
Old 7th December 2011, 10:13 AM

Just a thought.... I had an intermittant problem with my '8 boot auto-open, would open REALLY slowly and sometimes not at all. No faults on VCDS. Then, one day, I opened the boot and the right hand side hinge literally snapped in half and the o/s of the boot landed in a heap on the rear window. After replacing the hinge (I also replaced the gas strut while I was there) the boot has opened and closed perfectly every time. I thought it was the motor at first-but it might be worth checking the adjustment or see if there are any small cracks/signs of stress on either of the hinges.

Both parts cost less than £100 from the dealer, and I fitted them myself so nice and easy to do.

Just a heads up, you might be as fortunate as I was. I hope so

Bex

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 7th December 2011, 12:48 PM

The A8 D3 has the ZF6HP box which is prone to a good honk under hard acceleration. A flush sorts it. Flushed many 6 speed boxes always improves them. More robust than the ZF5HP as fitted to previous D2s.

Inlets are common as are boot hinges and motors.

Still love them!
Old 7th December 2011, 01:33 PM

A8 Doc, do you know of any 'checklist' for buying D3s, something you could print-off and take with you to view a car, then go round ticking stuff off, if you get what I mean?
Old 7th December 2011, 01:52 PM

Thanks Bex, but in this case the motor is intermittently not engaging at all.

Thanks A8 Doc, i look forward to the flush and removal of honk from my box!!
Old 7th December 2011, 01:52 PM

Will keep you all posted, but like i said, probably wont be done til after the 14th.