A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 11th March 2012, 09:34 AM

Default Variable Intake Manifold Links

I did a quick search on the forums but couldn't find anything on this topic so I thought I'd post what I've just done...

A few months back whilst I was cleaning the engine, I noticed that one of the plastic links that controls the variable intake manifold was clean broken. So I started the search for how to fix as Audi Aust said that there is no fix, only a replacement manifold. The SSP clearly states this also - at $4,500 I figured that there was a better ways to spend the $$!

Anyway, cut along story short, I found some parts in the USA from a supplier called Gruven Parts. They make a replacement arm in Al. Given that the internal 'flaps' are plastic, it means that they become the weakest link and not the linkages.

The Audi SSP states that they work by varying the intake length to improve low end torque and top end power. The way it should work is as follows:

With engine off, the arms are under spring tension and therefore the internal flap allows the 'short' intake length. Upon starting and engine at idle, the vacuum pulls the arms down thereby making the length 'long'. It stays like this till 4,480rpm when the solenoid trips and releases the vacuum, thereby allowing the shorter run.

In 'long' length, better torque at lower rpm, in 'short' length after 4,480rpm, better power.

For me, with a broken linkage, I had one cylinder bank running in 'short' length all the time, hence under 4,480rpm I had one bank in 'long' and in 'short', effectively inhibiting low end torque.

After fitting the new links, I did actually notice a better response in low end torque, albeit not a huge gain.

Well made parts and took a few mins to install, here's a pic of before and after.

Before:

After:

Interestingly, whilst rummaging through the SSP, I also found that on WOT when revs swing past 3,000rpm, another flap opens in the air box to take additional air from the engine compartment! So darn complex!! But oh so smart!!

Cheers
Old 11th March 2012, 09:43 AM

There's certainly been discussion here about that exact topic, but being a D2 driver I didn't study it in detail or recall exactly where it was posted.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th March 2012, 09:45 AM

There's threads about these arms in the d2 section, but probably not such a common failure on the d3 yet - nice to see some installed pics too

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 11th March 2012, 09:55 AM

Am I right it's only the 40-valve engine in the D2 that use these?
(I'm PF 32-valve and "managing" with "only" 340hp)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th March 2012, 10:27 AM

Nope.. the PF has them too. Slightly different lenghts though.

Not sure if I've heard of the 32v having a problem with breakages though.

I know.. I know..

Old 11th March 2012, 10:32 AM

Looks like a nice piece of sturdy engineering

Though if Audi had made such a sturdy part it would have cost them an extra 20p per car

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro

Last edited by 47p2; 11th March 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11th March 2012, 11:22 AM

What is SSP & WOT???

Statutory Sick Pay
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 11th March 2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
What is SSP & WOT???

Statutory Sick Pay
WOT usually refers to Wide Open Throttle

Not sure about ssp though - I'm guessing service guidance related?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 11th March 2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
There's certainly been discussion here about that exact topic, but being a D2 driver I didn't study it in detail or recall exactly where it was posted.
Yep, I found them, but being D2 I figured that I'd post up about the D3. Hope that's ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
There's threads about these arms in the d2 section, but probably not such a common failure on the d3 yet - nice to see some installed pics too
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47p2 View Post
Looks like a nice piece of sturdy engineering

Though if Audi had made such a sturdy part it would have cost them an extra 20p per car
Definitely sturdy compared to the plastic ones. I took both of them off and the second one broke on me whilst I was studying it in my hands until a gentle bend being applied to it!! . Glad I bought two.

All things relative, they cost me about $70 AUS. I Imagine the Audi engineers saying to themselves, "well here's a way to make money on parts, we'll make a really weak part that can only be fixed by buying a whole new intake assembly". As you say, it would've cost them next to nix to produce a quality part. Seems in complete contrast to the rest of build really doesn't it.
Old 11th March 2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusA8 View Post
I Imagine the Audi engineers saying to themselves, "well here's a way to make money on parts, we'll make a really weak part that can only be fixed by buying a whole new intake assembly".
I remember when Mercedes redesigned part of one of their door handles, a small metal part which they had been using for a number of years and they had never sold a single spare. The bean counters decided it was over engineered and the part should be made of plastic, suddenly they were selling spare parts and not only that they saved millions of pounds during the time the handle was in production just because the part was cheaper to produce in plastic. Sad but true

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro