A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Old 1st October 2012, 09:52 PM

It is fairly straightforward, the cables and software are made by ross tech, so have a look round the site.
http://www.ross-tech.com/
The licence is built into the cable,so dont see why you cant use it on multiple computers, but i have never tried that. There isnt a separate dongle, as it is all just the cable.
The chineese clones are copies, and come with a hacked version of the software. The official software checks the serial number of the cable against a blacklist and will disable some of the clones if they dont have protection against this, so avoiding the internet is advised. Obviously the hacked version doesnt do this.
And yes you can use it on multiple cars.

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 9th October 2012, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the info.

I'll have a read .
Old 9th October 2012, 11:06 AM

random Guy is correct , licence is with the cable, i use mine on multiple pcs and cars etc
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 29th October 2012, 05:37 PM

I have just email gendan regarding buying a vagcom for both my cars..... a 2002 S8 and a 2011 GTD Golf. The advice I recieved back was as follows........ it might help clarify a few things in this thread.......

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your email.
We do offer a couple of different interface options for VCDS, however given the cars you've mentioned, you'd need to go for the HEX-USB+CAN interface package:
http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

This supports all VAG cars with a 16-pin diagnostic port, so from around 1996 right up to brand new models being produced now. You get free software updates for the life of the cable, so if you stick with VAG when you replace your cars, the package will continue to support them.
The software updates are free downloads from the Ross-Tech website, and if you’re using the package on an internet connected PC, it will actually let you know automatically when updates are available and will offer to download and install them for you.

The license is an electronic dongle device inside the cable, so you can install the software on as many computers as you like – it will only work on the machine that the cable is connected to at the time.
I hope that helps!