A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 14th November 2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal_ay View Post
Is that a Cavalier 4x4 Turbo?
Yup, that's the one. The GS1 2000 4x4 had the same setup and the same wording in the manual.

I'm lucky enough to own one of the very last off the line. I've owned that car for 17 years and I've been meaning to sell her for at least six of those but I can't bring myself to part with her!

2008 Audi S8
Old 14th November 2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
Yup, that's the one. The GS1 2000 4x4 had the same setup and the same wording in the manual.

I'm lucky enough to own one of the very last off the line. I've owned that car for 17 years and I've been meaning to sell her for at least six of those but I can't bring myself to part with her!
Can't blame you,I'm partial to the old Griffin badge myself.put some pics up when you get a chance pretty please

2002 D2 S8 Misano Red
1996 Volvo 850R Estate Red
2013 Mercedes C63 AMG (taxi)
1991 Lotus Carlton Imperial Green
Old 15th November 2016, 07:52 AM

Sounds very 1960's.
When you go round a bend the outside wheels run much faster than the insides, much more than a couple of mil's on a tyre would make a difference. Then you have these off road cars that are supposed to be pretty good in the rough, I know that in the mud the wheels can slip, and is what you have to do in a stolly as they don't like tarmac but they have huge bronze bevel boxes on all six wheels. If you're on rocky stuff in would break the diff in a range rover? Or does changing the settings cancel all that out?

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 15th November 2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Sounds very 1960's.
When you go round a bend the outside wheels run much faster than the insides, much more than a couple of mil's on a tyre would make a difference. Then you have these off road cars that are supposed to be pretty good in the rough, I know that in the mud the wheels can slip, and is what you have to do in a stolly as they don't like tarmac but they have huge bronze bevel boxes on all six wheels. If you're on rocky stuff in would break the diff in a range rover? Or does changing the settings cancel all that out?
Its a good point Dezzy (if i follow your drift correctly - have you been at the cider for breakfast? ) but i think that the thinking is that the prolonged speed/rotational differences caused by tyre differences is the cause of overheating/wear.
Old 15th November 2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Its a good point Dezzy (if i follow your drift correctly - have you been at the cider for breakfast? ) but i think that the thinking is that the prolonged speed/rotational differences caused by tyre differences is the cause of overheating/wear.
Scrumpy, the man's breakfast

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 15th November 2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Scrumpy, the man's breakfast
Well, it IS just apple juice, isnt it ... and it counts as one of your 5-a day!
Old 15th November 2016, 01:47 PM

There is 2 parts of this story:
1. It's not only 4 wheel drive cars that need tyres with similar tyre wear to reduce additional stresses,wear and heat in the drivetrain, many modern cars require them to be similar for safe and correct ABS/ESP function as well.

2. Many garages will not fit second hand tyres and many other used parts due to liability and insurance so only way to get same wear is to fit 4 new tyres.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure