A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Motormouth

Motormouth Everything, and anything else motoring related that just doesnt belong anywhere else

Old 27th November 2015, 07:35 AM

I used it after getting a £5 off offer via paypal for linking my accounts

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 15th December 2015, 01:29 PM

Default nice

i once saw that happen in sheffield a few years ago

FILL UP AND GO !

a guy in an Audi 80 filled up and fooked off
cashier ran out after him but alas he was gone
Old 15th December 2015, 05:05 PM

Ha! That's funny!

My account problems seem to have been rectified and I've now used it three times. It didn't work on my last visit and it was bizarre how much of a chore it felt to go inside and pay!

2008 Audi S8
Old 16th December 2015, 09:01 PM

I also did the £5 free when I linked my PayPal account. All worked seamlessly.

Scan the 3D barcode from the drivers seat, fill up and drive away. That's it....
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 17th December 2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I tried fill up and go today and found it confusing.

Normally I fill up the car first and only after that I go to the till and pay. With shell fill up and go I need to initiate the transaction through my phone *before* actually filling up the the car! I find it ridiculous. Who designed this?

Digitising fuel payment episode is a great great idea, but cusomter experience shouldn't be compromised.

How it should work: I fill up the car first and only after that I take the phone out of my pocket and transact. This is the only right sequence of events. How shell could miss this key concept?

Oh maybe I'm an idiot... Explain me
Hi Sergey,

It's not taking payment at the start, it's 'authorising' payment. The authorisation process also makes sure we know which pump you're using, the max amount of fuel you wish to pay for, your loyalty details, and what amount should be charged after you're done fuelling. The actual payment is taken after you've filled up.

Thanks,

Oliver

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 17th December 2015, 11:06 PM

Hi Oli,

Normally I simply fill up without any 'authorisation' and without letting Shell know the pump number. This is important to understand. I simply get out of car and fill it up on 'no questions asked' basis. Only after that I pay. This is called trust. It looks like there is less trust for people with the app in comparison with people without app. Compromising trust is a big thing. Think about it.

Still not clear as to why 'authorising' payment and knowing which pump I am using, etc. can't be done after I finished filling up? Let the guy with the app fill up first like you allow this to all other people and then he will photograph the barcode and get charged in a couple of seconds. This can be done from the car too if needed. If authorisation won't work due to lack of signal or for whatever other reason I can always go and pay at the till.
Old 18th December 2015, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Hi Oli,

Normally I simply fill up without any 'authorisation' and without letting Shell know the pump number. This is important to understand. I simply get out of car and fill it up on 'no questions asked' basis. Only after that I pay. This is called trust. It looks like there is less trust for people with the app in comparison with people without app. Compromising trust is a big thing. Think about it.

Still not clear as to why 'authorising' payment and knowing which pump I am using, etc. can't be done after I finished filling up? Let the guy with the app fill up first like you allow this to all other people and then he will photograph the barcode and get charged in a couple of seconds. This can be done from the car too if needed. If authorisation won't work due to lack of signal or for whatever other reason I can always go and pay at the till.
That would wind me up no end, arrive at said fuel station, get out fill up, get back in the car, try and fail at the app because of some server error and then have to get back out of the car and go and pay some other way, its not about trust it just makes more efficient use of your time to do the approval first and if you don't have your wallet with you your not left standing with a full tank of fuel and no way to pay if there was a problem with the app no

Old 18th December 2015, 09:04 AM

Maybe you're right and I don't get it

Old 18th December 2015, 12:17 PM

To me it's effectively demonstrating you have a means to pay for the fuel, much like checking your wallet before you pick the pump up. By starting the transaction from your phone first it's akin to the cameras on the forecourt recording your registration in case you 'forget to pay' and drive off, if you were going into the shop to pay.

If the app isn't working, or your phone account details play up, it's giving you the choice to abort before you have taken any fuel if you don't have an alternative means to pay with you.

I can see the app mainly being useful to me if I've forgotten my wallet but have my phone (often happens!) as at least I won't be left with no fuel. At this time of year with the amount of people doing a week's food shopping (our local Shell is a mini Waitrose) the option to not have to queue up for ages just to buy fuel has its appeal too

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 21st June 2017, 05:30 PM

So were nearly 2 years down the line and my local Shell station still doesnt have this pay and go thing.