A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Motormouth

Motormouth Everything, and anything else motoring related that just doesnt belong anywhere else

Old 6th October 2016, 01:44 PM

Default Using mobile phones while controlling or operating a vehicle.

Walking down my road (it's a slight hill) this morning I observed a bicycle being ridden up towards me, rather unsteadily, wandering all over the place as if the rider was drunk.
Yes the rider (a young man in Lycra) was busy operating his mobile phone, blissfully unaware of his random progress or indeed anything much around him. He certainly didn't see me.

I was very tempted to step out in front of him to cross the road, bring him to an abrupt stop and ask him what he thought of car drivers using mobile phones.....

And yes, a bicycle is a vehicle. At least according the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic which the UK observes.

Is there any legislation relevant to this situation?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 6th October 2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
And yes, a bicycle is a vehicle. At least according the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic which the UK observes.

Is there any legislation relevant to this situation?
It would appear that because it isn't powered by an engine, then cyclists are allowed to use their mobile phones. They could still be pulled over for 'careless cycling' or 'cycling without due care and attention' however. Better that, than being carted off to the morgue!

Use to cycle quite a bit in my earlier years and it still amazes me how idiotic some cyclists can be.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 6th October 2016, 03:10 PM

This is what I found: https://www.askthe.police.uk/Content/Q604.htm

Owners of electrically assisted cycles need to be careful, presumably that also applies to disability scooters!
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 6th October 2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
It would appear that because it isn't powered by an engine, then cyclists are allowed to use their mobile phones. They could still be pulled over for 'careless cycling' or 'cycling without due care and attention' however. Better that, than being carted off to the morgue!

Use to cycle quite a bit in my earlier years and it still amazes me how idiotic some cyclists can be.
Proportionally (compared to car drivers), I'd argue that overall they're more responsible, partly for their own self-preservation, and they're also far less likely to cause serious damage to people or property if they're less than sensible all of the time.

In my view, the more powerful your vehicle - regardless of it's power source - the greater the responsibility there is on the person "in control" of it. I've also never, ever, seen a bicycle used as an offensive weapon on the road, which I can't say about cars, though that's thankfully very rare.
Old 6th October 2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
I've also never, ever, seen a bicycle used as an offensive weapon on the road
What about some of those overweight middle-aged men in lycra that ride them

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 6th October 2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
I've also never, ever, seen a bicycle used as an offensive weapon on the road
Well that wasn't the point of the thread, more the combination of hypocrisy and lack of self-preservation. But you obviously don't spend much time in and around London as a pedestrian! Especially near Shoreditch where a couple of my offspring live (not together). Deliveroo riders are the very worst in my experience.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 7th October 2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
What about some of those overweight middle-aged men in lycra that ride them
Oi! I resemble that remark!

But yeah... It's also an awful lot easier to be bundled off the bike by a bit of crappy tarmac if you're not looking.. so irrespective of the legal position, still a bit daft.

I know.. I know..

Old 7th October 2016, 03:53 PM

For what it's worth I experienced something similar a couple of weeks back. Country lane, guy on a bike weaving down the middle of the road completely oblivious. He was weaving because he had BOTH hands on the bloody phone while he was texting!

He didn't even hear me. I ended up having to toot the horn at the bleeder to wake him up so's I could get past. He wasn't pleased
Old 7th October 2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Oi! I resemble that remark!
I already fit into two of those criteria, so maybe I should be careful of what I eat

Old 7th October 2016, 11:43 PM

Default Beware of Smart Phone SatNav

Hi,

A very technical point is that a "phone" is classed as " a device capable of making or receiving a a phone call".

So touching your smartphone to use the free SatNav software on it actually is touching a phone while driving. Touching is using. That is breaking the law...

The police officer will doubtless listen to your explanation that you were not phoning but could do you...

Robert. ( ex Magistrate, got too busy at work).