A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 16th November 2012, 12:16 AM

Dealers will tell you it is 3 months, but consumer protection for cars is in fact 6 months.

The easy bit is taking them to court and getting the judgement.

The difficult bit is doing anything with that judgement - most home traders will just ignore it, not worth the paper it's written on, you won't get the money, will just lose the court fees.

So afraid to say that you should treat any non-finance offering (if they offer fiance, they need FSA approval, court judgements would terminate such approval) home based trader as a private seller.

My personal rule is I don't even view a car with a trader that does not publish their address and a landline phone number
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 16th November 2012, 06:33 AM

Could it not still be low fluid though, given that the car appears to already have a new gearbox and shows signs of a leak around the gearbox oil pan. I recall very similar symptoms when the fluid ran low in a previous car. There were no fault codes on the car I had at the time since there was no diagnostic port and the car was already old at the time.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 16th November 2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 16th November 2012, 08:19 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Before you jump off a cliff, it must be worth a) taking a trip to the citizens' advice bureaux and b) checking the oil level. Or even a call to Mackie's (the gearbox guru's) in Glasgow for advice.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).