A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 7th March 2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Very nice looking car! Congrats!
And a manual conversion too
I’m jealous, black interior is the best. I have the beige interior and I dont like it. Need to swap black leather in.
Nope. Black and red all the way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180311_121605.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	478.8 KB
ID:	22979   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180311_121641.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	532.4 KB
ID:	22980  

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 8th March 2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Blueeyes View Post

Theres no use arguing about tastes
Old 8th March 2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Very nice looking car! Congrats!
And a manual conversion too
I’m jealous, black interior is the best. I have the beige interior and I dont like it. Need to swap black leather in.
Thanks. I've never done a interior swap before and I'm guessing it a pain to do? I've had vehicles in the past where I wasn't a fan of the interior color and wanted to do a swap but never got around to doing so as I just ended up selling them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
Looks great! Where in the US are you located?
I'm in the midwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Blueeyes View Post
I kinda like that color combo. I believe we had 2 unique colors here is the States which was only available for the 2003 model year, oxblood and caramel.

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.

Last edited by Audifan; 21st March 2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old 8th March 2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
Thanks. I've never done a interior swap before and I'm guessing it a pain to do?
I reckon its possible to complete in a weekend, and will be attempting so in a few weeks Everything from the glass down, including dash. I'm keeping the headlining since its alcantara, but everything else goes from dark grey to black.
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:05 PM

A small update on my S8. It's been a very long time since the last time I have driven this car and the reason for this is because during my research on these cars, I found out that it's possible that a valve spring could fail and I don't want to take that risk of having one break. I have no records of this happening to my car or any record that the have been replaced for precaution reasons. It's currently sitting inside the garage at the apartment that I'm living at.

My plan is to replace the valve springs and do a complete timing service job all at the same time. I've been slowly (and I mean VERY slowly) buying the parts that I need. I have many more parts to buy

New OEM cam chain tensioners (it's ridiculous how expensive these are!)

Upgrading to these valve springs (these are also expensive )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new cam tensioners.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	26751   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve spring kit 1.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	26752   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve spring kit 2.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	26753  

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.

Last edited by Audifan; 23rd July 2021 at 10:34 PM.
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:15 PM

I have a 39 valve V7 coffee table because of a broken inlet valve spring, but thankfully its a pretty rare failure. IIRC the RS6 and D3 use a revised version of the original D2 springs which the D2 supersedes to.
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
IIRC the RS6 and D3 use a revised version of the original D2 springs which the D2 supersedes to.
That's good to know

Old 28th May 2022, 08:12 PM

New update on my car. I totally forgot to mention that not long after I bought the car in 2019, I bought all new Sachs shocks and new shock mounts, new front wheel bearings, and new front axles. While the car was getting all this work done, the shop found that both front springs were broken. I bought a pair of good used front springs. While the shop was waiting for the springs to come in, one of the axles pulled out from when they were driving my car in and out of the shop when the shop is closed for night.

I only took one picture but both springs were broken at the bottom coil.

The front axle that pulled out.

I replaced the stock air bag with a mk1 TT air bag and mk1 6 speed shift knob.

I looks like I need to make some adjustment as the ash tray cover doesn't close straight.

I also bought a new shift boot but I might end up replacing this with a shorter shift boot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	broken front spring.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	28549   Click image for larger version

Name:	broken front axle.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	28550   Click image for larger version

Name:	tt air bag.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	28551   Click image for larger version

Name:	tt shift knob.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	28552   Click image for larger version

Name:	new shift boot.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	28553  

Last edited by Audifan; 28th May 2022 at 08:29 PM.
Old 29th May 2022, 08:21 PM

Update continued. I'm now getting ready to replace the stock valve springs with the SuperTech Prefromance valve spring kit that I bought. Do I really need to replace the stock valve spring? Probably not but with all the researching that I've done with these cars I found out that it's possible that a valve spring could break. It's a risk I'm not willing to take, so with replacing them will ease my mind. This is the reason why I haven't really driven the car in a long time.

Since this car had a electric fan installed, I'm going to try and clean up all the wiring that has been routed in the engine bay. The main one is this relay that was mounted to the air box.

The area that I'm thinking about mounting the relay to is this frame for the air box but not sure which spot to mount it where it won't be in the way.

Which one of these 3 locations is the best place to mount the relay where it's not interfering with something?

I removed the washer tank and found out that there was a rubber grommet inside .

I removed the left side spark plugs and all 4 of them look like this. What is causing the oil on the plugs? How concerned should I be?

What is this wire for (at the red arrow)?

This is what the left cylinder head looks like. Any tips on removing the cam shafts so I can replace the valve springs?

It looks like the cam chain tensioner had new pads installed before I bought this car.

Right cylinder head.

Right cam chain tensioner.

This is the underside of the left cam cover and the grey color that you see is the high temp sealant that I used when I replaced the cam cover gaskets.
This probably isn't going to be fun cleaning off this sealant.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mount relay 1.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	28570   Click image for larger version

Name:	mount relay 2.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	28571   Click image for larger version

Name:	mount relay 3.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	28572   Click image for larger version

Name:	washer jug.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	28573   Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber grommet 1.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	28574   Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber grommet 2.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	28575   Click image for larger version

Name:	spark plug.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	28576   Click image for larger version

Name:	wire.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	929.4 KB
ID:	28577   Click image for larger version

Name:	lt cyl head.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	28578   Click image for larger version

Name:	lt cam chain.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	28579  

Name:	lt cam cover.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	28580   Click image for larger version

Name:	rt cyl head.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	28591   Click image for larger version

Name:	rt cam chain.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	28592  

Last edited by Audifan; 29th May 2022 at 10:38 PM.
Old 29th May 2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
Which one of these 3 locations is the best place to mount the relay where it's not interfering with something?
Anywhere in that area should be fine since there's nothing else there. I'd stick it next to the chassis leg since its closer to the warm engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan
I removed the left side spark plugs and all 4 of them look like this. What is causing the oil on the plugs? How concerned should I be?
Oil on the plugs on a V8 is quite rare as it can't get in via the cam cover gasket like on the V6. The only route really is if the spark plug tube isn't seated in the head properly. Clean it and see if it comes back

Quote:
What is this wire for (at the red arrow)?
Oil level sensor in the sump

Quote:
This is what the left cylinder head looks like. Any tips on removing the cam shafts so I can replace the valve springs?
RTFM There's an order to remove the cam caps so the cams don't bend. It'll be in the Tech Dump somewhere. Clean all the schmutz out of the bolt heads before starting, and using the T30 torx bit as a drift, hit each bolt sharply with a hammer to break the stiction. They take a surprising amount of force to break loose, then just spin out. Buy the best quality T30 Torx bit you can find.

Quote:
This probably isn't going to be fun cleaning off this sealant.

WD40 or naptha-based brake cleaner usually makes short work of silicone sealants.