A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 10th March 2020, 08:08 AM

Just a quick update.

As a quick and temporary fix (as I am not using the car at the moment) I removed the drivers side wiper blade a couple of days ago. I have checked the footwells this morning after all this rain and all is dry. I've ordered some seam sealer and I'll get around to fixing it when the weather improves. I've still no idea at this point what's going on in the passenger side footwell as this is also dry at the moment. Strange.

Where abouts is the "teat" by the way in the rear wheel arch? I have my ns liner off but can't seem to find a drain hole.
Old 10th March 2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
Where abouts is the "teat" by the way in the rear wheel arch? I have my ns liner off but can't seem to find a drain hole.
Check out the following link, which gives instructions for all the drainage point issues:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...tordrains.html

Regarding the 'teats', they are also shown in that article, but look like this (which you can get to without removing the liner):

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evapdrain7.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	22983  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 10th March 2020, 01:30 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

The 'teats' are in the FRONT wheel arches. Also drains from the plenum area
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 10th March 2020, 03:37 PM

It's the location of the ones in the rear wheel arch I was thinking of.
Old 10th March 2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
It's the location of the ones in the rear wheel arch I was thinking of.
Ah, so it's the sunroof drains you're looking for. Page 127 of the following document found in the D2>D2 - Common Faults>D2 Tech Dump section:

Service Manual General Body Assembly Exterior (Rep groups 50 55 57 58 60 63 64 66).pdf

Illustration added for convenince:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A8D2SunroofDrains.png
Views:	574
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	22995  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 11th March 2020, 02:28 AM

Thanks for the info. As I mentioned earlier, I have the ns rear wheel arch liner out at the moment whilst doing my suspension repairs. Whilst I'm in that area I was thinking of taking a look to see if I could improve the drain at all for the sunroof. I thought it would be fairly obvious and I would recognise the drain when I saw it. I don't seem to be able to find it. I've a sneaky feeling it's a little bit further back than I was expecting. Almost more in the rear bumper.

When I find it, and I will, I'll try and get a picture if access allows. Squirting some water down the sunroof rear drain may help.
Old 11th March 2020, 08:14 AM

It is behind the bumper.
Old 11th March 2020, 07:42 PM

It looks like the Botang's hole on my car is still in good shape. Here is a pic of the area where it is. Just a reminder that my car is LHD.

While I was looking around under the hood, I noticed what looks like there was a water flood in the rain tray section some time in the past. I tried to get the best pic showing what looks like water has been sitting for some time and it looks like this area is stained because of this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hole.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	24436   Click image for larger version

Name:	possible.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	24437  

Last edited by Audifan; 10th November 2020 at 01:07 AM. Reason: switched pictures to attachment