A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 23rd April 2019, 12:30 PM

Default S8 Wing Mirrors - Refinishing

I recently acquired a pair of aluminium wing mirrors for my S8. The originals had long since been replaced with body coloured versions.

The pair I bought are tidy enough, but would benefit from being stripped, polished and re-anodised.

Has anyone had this type of work done on their mirrors?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:59 PM

No, but I was looking at mine yesterday and they have some pits from gravel etc and would benefit from a refurb. Stripping and re-anodising is a difficult process according to firms I have approached reference the anodised trim. I am a interested if there is way of achieving this.
Old 23rd April 2019, 01:29 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I've been researching it, on and off, for years, trying to find a solution or find someone who can re-anodise the aluminium mirrors and trim. I think I MAY have found someone (just recently) but I'm waiting to hear back about a sample piece of trim I gave them to restore and re-anodise for me.

You can just remove the anodised layer (either chemically, using caustic soda, or mechanically, with a lot of sanding and polishing) and then polish the aluminium to get whatever finish you prefer. However, unprotected, the aluminium will quickly tarnish and will need to be frequently repolished. You could use a protective lacquer but, if the surface is highly polished, most lacquers won't properly adhere I believe. I did find a clear lacquer that seemed suitable for the job, made by POR 15. It used to be called 'Glisten PC' but now it seems to be referred to as POR15 2K clear. I'm yet to try it but they claim it's extremely hard-wearing and can adhere to highly polished surfaces. If my efforts to get the trim re-anodised fail, I may go down the polish and lacquer route myself.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 23rd April 2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 24th April 2019, 09:44 AM

Thanks Mark. I've used POR15 paints before and had good results,so their clear coat may be a good product too.

One of the classic car shows on TV showcased a polishing outfit so I did wonder if this is a two stage process that needs a metal polishing company, and then a plating company to do the anodising, rather than a one stop shop. I think it was one of the Salvage Hunters Classic Car episodes.

I used a plating place a while back for engine bay fasteners on another car and it worked well. Unusual in that they were geared to job lots from private individuals. Most places were industrial only and private jobs were just a pain.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the company. Do you know if these were originally a fully polished chrome like finish or with a fine brushed finish to them? I'm assuming it wasn't a full on chrome look.

David,
I was in Helensburgh at the weekend, albeit not in the S8. Once I get the 'normal' exhaust on, I'll probably be allowed to use it for in-laws visits.
Will keep an eye out for yours.

Brian
Old 24th April 2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWayUp View Post
I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the company. Do you know if these were originally a fully polished chrome like finish or with a fine brushed finish to them? I'm assuming it wasn't a full on chrome look.
I'll post an update if/when I manage to get my trim successfully re-anodised.

As I understand it, you'll never get a completely mirror-like finish with anodised aluminium. So, out of the factory, I think the trim will have had a slightly matt/brushed look. I'm told that the thicker the anodised layer is, the longer it will last but the duller it will appear. In which case, polishing and lacquering might prove to be the better solution. Or maybe have them re-anodised fairly thinly, as they originally were, and then add a coat of lacquer so that the finish lasts longer.

Another option would be to get the aluminium chrome-plated. I believe it's a complex (and possibly costly) process to chrome-plate aluminium because the aluminium has to be plated with other metals first. Chrome plating would give a mirror-like finish of course, which you may or may not want.

Other options I've considered are chrome paints and wraps. When we visited IK Classics as part of our annual meet last year, I asked the owner what they did to restore aluminium trim. He said they just have them powder-coated in a paint that (he tells me) looks very close to the real thing. Still, it seems a shame (and somewhat defeatist) to paint/cover the aluminium rather than properly restore it.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 24th April 2019, 12:18 PM

What about polishing the Aluminium then ceramic coating it to give 3-5 years of protection?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 24th April 2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
What about polishing the Aluminium then ceramic coating it to give 3-5 years of protection?
That's certainly a possibility Neil. I did consider doing that, once the trim has been restored, but I was thinking of ceramic coating the entire body, with the assumption that the trim would get coated too. Would a ceramic coating create a good enough hermetic seal though I wonder, or would air/moisture get under it?

Cars Owned:

Old 24th April 2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
That's certainly a possibility Neil. I did consider doing that, once the trim has been restored, but I was thinking of ceramic coating the entire body, with the assumption that the trim would get coated too. Would a ceramic coating create a good enough hermetic seal though I wonder, or would air/moisture get under it?
I know a couple of Ceramic company directors so I'll ask that very question! or failing that Bert from the PVD will almost certainly know too

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 24th April 2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I know a couple of Ceramic company directors so I'll ask that very question! or failing that Bert from the PVD will almost certainly know too
Ok, that would be great

I've just ordered a full set of used aluminium trim from A8 Parts today as it happens. My car is booked to go into the body shop in a couple of weeks for a bit of work (not least to repair the damage caused by the rock tossers ) so I'm hoping to get the used trim polished up, and possibly re-anodised, in time for the body shop to replace it all.

Cars Owned:

Old 24th April 2019, 09:38 PM

I'm with you regards the chrome painting, it would seem defeatist. Think I'll put the alloy mirrors on for the moment while I decide what to do.

Really pleased with my original style bonnet grille which brightens up the front.

Thanks for all the ideas - much appreciated.

Brian