A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 12th April 2018, 12:58 PM

Default Console Button Lights

Hi There,

A while back at work i left my sunroof open and didn't realise the rain until too late. It wasn't a massive amount of water and i dried everything off and it was reasonable if a stupid move

Anyway after that the red back lights in the center console have been iffy. Sometimes pressing would get them on, sometimes they'd work and now they've just given up the ghost. It's not a major hassle and i know where the CD or NAV button is by now, but occasionally they'd be useful, so am thinking of finally looking at the issue!!!

Any pointers as it's a bit i've not removed on the D3 etc

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 12th April 2018, 02:03 PM

You have to buy some 99% isopropyl such as from cpc farnell and then take out the PCB and flush it to remove the water.

As far as I remember, remove the ashtray, remove some screws, remove the something else and maybe 2 more screws under that hold the centre console in then it lifts out.
There are about 5 plugs to take out, remove them and then take in the house. Remove the back plastic, EPB switch and maybe start button (check this instructions in SSP as there is a trick with a sliding pin) and then wash the PCB in the sink and leave until dry about 15 mins and then put all back together. You might be able to do this without removing the PCB via the gaps, but I would worry about the isopropyl affecting the soft touch coating on the MMI buttons, it seems to go soft when damp.

The isopropy is very miscible in water and not conductive so will displace the moisture in all the nooks and crannies and microswitches and will dry off quite quickly due to it's volatility.
Old 6th August 2019, 08:06 PM

Have same issue , Try it to wash it , but its didn't help me..... Anyone across UK fixing MMI ? I can simply send over mine 3g high mmi panel... Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 10:51 PM

Are all the lights off or just some? If all there must be a single point of failure. If just a few, may be the LEDs themselves and you could perhaps get new SMDs (surface mount diodes) of the correct size.
Old 7th August 2019, 10:00 AM

There is a 1A fuse for illumination, maybe worth checking....
Old 7th August 2019, 04:00 PM

So mine problem is like , MEDIA and RADIO button completely not working , So I can press Telephone and maybe it will switch Media or Radio or telephone...

So basically not working properly just 4 buttons on the left side of console , all rest is working as should ��

How to get it fixed? ��

PS- All LEDs is working on mine fine ����
Old 8th August 2019, 11:21 AM

There is a company in the UK called HappyDayz Ltd that offer a repair service. Here's a link to their site, and specifically to the 3G MMI High:

https://www.hazzydayz.com/mmi-3g-bas...ate-8536-p.asp

Their prices are listed as 'Supply & Fit', so I'd suggest contacting them to see if you can send them the part for repair, and what the cost would be.

Depending on that, you might want to consider the other option of just buying a new one. Our forum sponsors have them for sale on eBay, or at least I believe so, as the centre control button has the small joystick on top.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192954474927

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 8th August 2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
So mine problem is like , MEDIA and RADIO button completely not working , So I can press Telephone and maybe it will switch Media or Radio or telephone...

So basically not working properly just 4 buttons on the left side of console , all rest is working as should ��

How to get it fixed? ��

PS- All LEDs is working on mine fine ����
This is probably as simple as removing the control unit, opening it up, remove the PCB and thoroughly washing the plastic case/buttons. Dry thoroughly, re-assemble and reinstall.

An hours work and a day of drying time?
Old 9th August 2019, 10:23 PM

Was trying to clean and dry, but fitted after 1hour dry.. Maybe just thats why its doesnt work for me

Maybe You can give advice what kind of cleaner to use on it ?
Old 10th August 2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Was trying to clean and dry, but fitted after 1hour dry.. Maybe just thats why its doesnt work for me

Maybe You can give advice what kind of cleaner to use on it ?
If you remove the internals you will find a PCB and a bunch of plastic parts. In my case the previous owner seemed to have spilt coke on the controls, so the plastic was sticky, I just soaked all the plastic parts in soapy water, washed by hand, rinsed with clean water and then finally rinsed with IPA to speed the drying time.

That said, if the PCB is also contaminated, you could possibly clean with IPA but the issues are likely to be beyond cleaning if it was powered up whilst wet/sticky.