A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Our Other Audi Friends > A4/S4/RS4 B5

A4/S4/RS4 B5 1994-2001

Old 22nd September 2009, 09:33 PM
Siena

Default V8 Into A4 B5 II

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So with my B5 A4 Quattro Sport, I proved the V8 does fit the B5 chassis, with minimal effort.

Following the success of Outlaw's new V8 heart, I have the pleasure of doing another V8-into-B5 project. Oddly enough, it's another widebody, this time though, the project is different - it's the same AHC S8 32V motor as mine, but there the similarities end.

It's a front track, it's retaining the original 5-speed 012 tranny, and it's going to maintain the OEM S8's Bosch Motronic ECU and harness, which means no MAP sensor, and it'll be running the standard MAF.

The base car is a Ming Blue Pearl 1,8 T Sport. I spent the day prepping the bay for the larger block, removed the 1,8T motor. Mounts are already available for the V8 / B5 integration, it will also be running one of my flywheels, a single-mass 7,2kg unit. In my car, there is no chatter, even when loading the tranny from low speeds, in any gear.

I'll keep you guys updated via the usual write-ups and pictures, stay tuned!

Last edited by Siena; 22nd September 2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:24 PM

I'm looking forward to this :drool:

A8OC Founder

The A8 Owners Club here
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:26 PM
Siena

The base car, B5 A4 1,8T Sport:

Old 22nd September 2009, 11:04 PM
Siena

Side note: These are old pictures, before the current owner got his mitts on her. She looks very different now - no RS4 badges, now sporting 1-piece ecodes, and M3-style trunk lip.

The teardown began today...

Outgoing 1,8T engine:

And so the teardown continued:

Little boy 1,8T:

Big bad boy S8 32V!

Fancy kicking that big lump into the B5 bay?

Old 23rd September 2009, 09:25 PM

wow i'm gonna watch this one!
i take it you have to get custom manifolds & downpipes made up?
What modifcations to the chassis do you have to do?
How hard is it to wire in?
Whats the deal with the arches on the B5 A4 ?
Old 23rd September 2009, 09:50 PM
Siena

I run the OEM S8 manifolds, and a pair of 200 cell sport catalysts / downpipes mated to the stock exhaust system, in this case, the blu car's running a Milltek.

No modifications to the chassis are required, I just use a set of custom mounts.

Wiring is ok, as long as you're not daunted by electrics.

The blue B5 has OEM RS4 front end - fenders, bumper, side skirts. The rear arches are GRP items though.
Old 24th September 2009, 04:45 PM

Superb!!

Looking very good!

1.8T engine isn't half a cracker though. Not as refined as the V8 lump or as smooth, but power wise you can't 'arf get some torque out of it.
Old 27th September 2009, 04:50 PM
Siena

Just got back after a long stint in the workshop.

And discovered the mounts I had made for my own car don't line up with the I4 set-up.

Not sure if it's due to the different subframe, the front engine support fits though. So Monday, will see if my guy can rework the existing ones, or I may need to supply him with new mock-ups based on the B5 4 cylinder.

Some pictures though...
Old 27th September 2009, 04:55 PM
Siena

Upper oil pan section that needs to be ground off, else it fouls the subframe. I also shaved the thick webbing off, will take pictures of that later:

Engine bolted to tranny temporarily:

Front panel, showing area that needs to be cut out:

Radiator test fitted:

Checking hood for clearance:

Old 27th October 2009, 11:05 AM
Siena

A little update:

So many things differ between an I4 and V6 B5, as far as installing the V8 goes.

1) Mounts - new custom mounts made to integrate V8, different from V6 base car.
2) Subframe - tranny n/s bracket needs to be cut off, and V6 one welded in place.
3) Tranny n/s mount - being replaced with V6 bracket, to allow n/s catalyst to fit.
4) Airbox - 1,8T unit has intake facing front of engine, being replaced with V6 item.

Car is now running, for some reason though, the S8 immo would not code to the B5's key and immo box, so a different approach was needed.

It involved obtaining a B5 ECU, immo box and key from a junkyard. All came from a 1998 A4 2,8 quattro. The immo box was then plugged into the car, the transponder removed from the new key (was glued in, what a b4stard it was to remove). Finally, the immo processor was carefully desoldered from the 2,8 ECU, and soldered in place of the old one in the S8's ECU. Voila!

Had a scary moment last week - the fuel filter decided to spring a leak of major proportions. It was so rusty, I was surprised it held pressure up to that point. It looked like a cylindrical brick, and after replacement, the injectors had to be removed, and taken for an ultrasonic clean. The fuel lines were then flushed through, before replacing the injectors, and firing her up.

Another issue...the cluster in a B5 is designed to work for either 4 or 6 cylinders. While the cluster in this particular B5 1,8T could be coded to work in a V6, a V8 wasn't an option. The C5 A6 uses the same basic cluster, and was available as a V8, but as the C5 came later than '96, which this B5 was, fitting one wasn't an option, unless a whole bunch of wiring was on the cards...

...It wasn't.

The existing cluster was pulled apart, and certain key components were replaced, (thank God for Maplins) so now works accurately.

A few pictures of progress so far:

Rusty, porous fuel filter:

New harness in progress. Involves deleting massive auto trans ECU connector, auto trans tranny connectors, as well as configuring the S8 connectors to plug into the B5 chassis. They also needed to be extended from the left side of the scuttle, to the right:

Engine mounts:

Close-up of front engine support:

Front engine support bolted in place: