A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 14th February 2019, 09:36 AM

Yes please My web server was broken so I couldn't upload the necessary files but its fixed now. I'll PM you
Old 14th February 2019, 10:45 AM

NP - waiting on your PM

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 21st February 2019, 06:35 PM

Progress at last.

All attempts to fix the firmware failed so I just bought another control board which came with it. All is now well again on that front.

However...

I was also being thwarted by my 'upgrade' to Capricorn PTFE bowden tube. This is so slippery the tube couplers can't grip it so it was moving about as the extruder was feeding or retracting, meaning it wasn't retracting enough, and then not feeding enough back in after a retraction. General buggeration ensued.

So, I swapped the extruder hardware for a new anodized aluminium set and tried a bunch of different couplers at the extruder end until I found one which just about holds the Capricorn properly. There's still 0.5mm of movement on retractions which I need to solve but its much better than the 3mm I had before.

Also I did a mod to the hotend so that the bowden tube doesn't go all the way down to the nozzle. Instead there is a separate piece of tube in the heat break, a washer, then the bowden tube. This means any movement of the tube in the hotend coupler doesn't leave a gap between the tube and the nozzle (which causes clogs).

Finally, I calibrated the new extruder by setting it to feed 100mm of filament and measuring how much actually went in - only 96mm! Since the much-sought-after CR-10S firmware doesn't allow you to make any changes (which ironically the current bad firmware does) I can't save the extruder calibration fudge to the printer so instead I've put it in the startup Gcode in Cura instead.

It still won't print a usable Hypercube YX Joiner though. A test print (the 15th attempt!) came out visually perfect but the bearing hole is under-size
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:36 AM

Fun and games - this is why Iam leaving mine standard
Sure it will be worth the hassle though.

Regards the HyperCube - send me the STL files and I will print one off and see how it looks - if OK I can do the rest and post them to you.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:04 AM

I'm on my travels again.
Three day tour Blackpool.
Having time on anything at home is impossible.
I have a Harrison lathe, a shaper and a three phase converter to collect & transport home.
Let alone all the other things that need my attention.
I need a big trailer for my workshop and thren everything could travel with me. The new coach that I have this week has a tow bar.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:25 PM

any progress on the brake master cylinder block?
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:38 PM

Unfortunately not I need the Hypercube to print useful engineering materials, and I can't make the Hypercube until the CR-10S will behave itself
Old 28th February 2019, 11:54 PM

Big change of plan in our house.
Having bought a 56 plate 4.2TDI and given it to son Craig I think we have done enough spending for a short while.

The Evo idea has been scrapped like the Shogun sat on my front lawn.

Now we are considering a CNC router, but first we must improve the CR10. We are thinking a decent hot end and Extruder.

Back to the drawing board.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 15th March 2019, 02:53 PM

So, I'm printing again...

Yes, I bought a new one This is a Creality Ender 3 Pro. I debated buying another CR-10S, maybe even a CR-10S Pro or a CR-X, but settled on this for several reasons:

1, It was <£200
2, It has a removable magnetic build sheet - this rocks!
3, It heats up *much* faster than the CR-10S
4, It only has one Z screw, which was my biggest problem with the CR-10S
5, Its quite small so easier to put in a box than the CR-10S so it can print ABS

Its also quieter than the CR-10S for some reason. It has slightly smaller motors since it has a smaller bed, but they are much quieter. The fans are still crazy loud though so I will swap those at some point.

Its amazing just how fast the bed heats up. It can go from room temperature to 80 degrees in the time it takes to manually unload and reload the filament. No 'change filament' in the menu with this btw, or indeed bed levelling, which is a bit bizarre. Bed levelling is totally manual, but it seems to stay put more than the CR-10S does.

Its also much happier printing at 60mm/s than the CR-10S, partly because the bed is smaller, but also because its much lighter as it doesn't have any glass. Just the heated plate plus the magnetic sheet. The magnetic sheet isn't flat, but it doesn't seem to matter.

The magnetic build sheet is excellent btw. It gives a nice matte finish to the prints, and so far everything sticks to it perfectly. I've printed PLA, ABS, ASA, CPE and PETG and its knocked every one out of the park. Better prints at the same settings as the CR-10S, and they pop off the magnetic sheet when it's bent.

I think tbh I just wore put the CR-10S by printing so much Its time therefore for a fairly comprehensive rebuild of that machine. I'll likely convert it to a direct extruder (probably an E3D Titan) since the hotend is one of its biggest issues. It will also get converted to a single Z motor driving both lead screws (this was always the am of building the frame below it). It will definitely get a genuine Creality magnetic bed since I like that a lot. It may also get new electronics since it has never been the same since the firmware debacle, but I will wait and see how it behaves with the Titan first I think. It can print big things slowly, and the Ender can print small things quickly.

I'm continuing with the Hypercube again too, which is why I'm experimenting with different materials in the Ender. If I can get decent prints in ABS I will build the 'cube with that instead of messing around with PLA.

Onwards!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ender3pro.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	20954  
Old 15th March 2019, 09:07 PM

I need to get one of these things.

This Creality Ender 3 Pro looks like a good starting point and cheap. Would you recommend it for a complete beginner who does not have too much spare time? ( I only get 2x2h sleep most of days as it is without taking on another hobby )

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure