A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 10th June 2014, 08:25 AM

Default Front outer CV boot gone

Hi everyone,

Just returned from Scotland meet (1100 miles). Changed oil. Inspected car and discovered that front outer CV boot developed a crack and I've got grease all over... CV boot needs changing. The new CV boot kit 3B0 498 203 F was waiting on the shelf -- no problem here.

The problem is that I never done this before I found a nice video where someone removed drive shaft on A4 B6 2001 without dismantling braking calliper. Will this approach work on A8 D2 FL?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvlz0zAwWW8

What procedure would you recommend?

Thanks.

Last edited by notorious; 10th June 2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10th June 2014, 01:29 PM

No need do dismantle caliper.

Coupe of tips:

1. You can do it in 2 ways, like the video shows with removing driveshaft completely from the car or just pulling the outer end out from the hub. If you just want to leave driveshaft connected then you need to disconnect 2 bottom arms from the hub and it can be a bit awkward some times. If you disconnect shaft from the gearbox mark the position so that you connect it back the same and you will need new bolts as they are use once only or at least use threadlock as I have seen several cases where bolts are undoing themselves and coming out if reused.

2. Loosen the central bolt with the wheel still on the car and on the ground, just remove centre cap to access it. In video it came loose surprisingly easy. It's highest torqued bolt in the car and sometimes seized with time as well. I have had cases where putting all my weight on around 180cm long pipe over heavy duty breaker bar bolt would not budge so ended up supporting the pipe against a wooden block on the ground and driving car so that wheel and driveshaft turns while the bolt is held in place.

3.Do not knock CV joint to get it off the shaft as shown in video if you want to reuse it. Screw in the centre bolt when driveshaft is off the hub, the bolt will go deeper, press at the shaft and force the CV joint off. Some cars do need longer service bolt or placing something between the bolt and driveshaft. In those cases I use unneeded imperial socket.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 10th June 2014, 02:55 PM

Cheers Anairs,

I think I will leave driveshaft connected and do the cleaning/re-greasing/new boot installation in that position.

Instead of disconnecting 2 bottom arms from the hub (which of course will be awkward and will probably require new bolts/arms) I was thinking to loosen bolts in the bonnet area that hold shock absorbers and the whole suspension assembly. The beauty of this approach is that I won't touch any suspension bolts. And the bolts in bonnet area are usually clean and reusable.

I will then drop the whole suspension including shock absorber and will hopefully be able to remove the driveshaft from the hub. Of course, I will need to undo the big central bolt. This approach was recommended by James (mkoneman).

Any experience with this method?
Old 11th June 2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Any experience with this method?
No never done it like that

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure