A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 23rd December 2014, 07:31 PM

Default Aerial has stopped working?

Last week I filled the boot with winter tyres and since then the aerial has stopped working, no prior warning, no noises etc. so I'm guessing I've knocked something loose?
Where would be the best place to look? I considered that it may have been simply a blown fuse but I can't seem to locate a fuse for the aerial, I'm guessing it'll be powered from the ICE with an in-line fuse?
I don't want to remove all of the carpet if there's a single place to check first, I can't be the first numpty to have done this??

The Garage

Audi A8 D2 PF - 1999 - 4.2 Quattro Sport in Silver - Bose, Blinds, S8 exhaust, FL armrests, S8 Brembo's.

VW Tiguan 2.0 TDi Bluemotion 2013 - The OH's company car & general family runabout.

Honda Transalp 1999 XL600 VR - My runabout

Honda CX500 - The winter project 2014/15
Old 24th December 2014, 12:03 PM

There is a unit under the aerial behind the carpet (or there was on my PF D2), you may have knocked that and unseated a connection.

I know.. I know..

Old 1st January 2015, 05:02 PM

Managed to fix the aerial, it had simply become stuck. It's clearly been replaced already with an aftermarket generic item. Fairly easy to get to once the trim was taken off along the rear of the boot and around the carpet to the left of the boot. The CD multi changer whips out with 4 bolts then there's easy access to the aerial.
Where the aerial retracts into the tube it passes through a nut which secures it to the car body, this was caked in a white chalky powder, a quick whizz with the dremmel type tool and all clear again.

The Garage

Audi A8 D2 PF - 1999 - 4.2 Quattro Sport in Silver - Bose, Blinds, S8 exhaust, FL armrests, S8 Brembo's.

VW Tiguan 2.0 TDi Bluemotion 2013 - The OH's company car & general family runabout.

Honda Transalp 1999 XL600 VR - My runabout

Honda CX500 - The winter project 2014/15
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:30 AM

Howdy mate, only just seen this or I'd have replied sooner, my apologies

I had the electric aerial replaced twice in my ownership, the first time at Autosounds on Scotswood Road, second time at my independant garage. The one Autosounds fitted around eight years ago worked fine but the chrome finish pitted badly and it wouldn't clean up so I changed it again, purely for appearance sakes. I always tried to make sure they didn't "dry up" but they obviously have a limited life. I suppose if I'd gone with an OEM aerial in the first place it would very likely have lasted a lot longer but didn't really consider that at the time.

Glad you got it sorted to your satisfaction

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra