A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 6th August 2014, 12:27 PM

Default Fuel supply problem...car not starting

Hello all.New to the forum and S8 ownership.
She a 2000 S8 6spd manual with 265kW and 272k km on the clock.

One morning after nightshift I couldnt start her up.
Reading over here and at audiworld I checked the Crank position sensor.It showed 880 ohm accross pins 2&3, which I was told is Ok.

Then I chceked the 372 relay for the pump.The coil is working and there is continuity between pins.

After that I unplugged the fuel line at the pump and screwed in my homemade bolt with a hose on it to see if its flowing fuel while cranking.
First crank and there was some very minor amount of petrol.Ml at most.Then I reoved the bolt and put a blue roll paper on top of the outlet and cranked it.The paper was lightly soaked with petrol.

Next thing I will do is put 5l of fuel in the tank.I am now at 1/2 a tank so might be a problem with the pick up line from other side.....

And also apply battert voltage directly to the pump contacts to see if its spinning.

Any other thoughts guys?

All help appreciated

Danny
Old 6th August 2014, 12:50 PM

Sounds very much like the pump has failed.

I know.. I know..

Old 6th August 2014, 12:51 PM

I had a similar problem with my old D2 A8. The penny dropped when I partially unscrewed the fuel filler cap and the car started. Blocked breathers.
Old 6th August 2014, 03:10 PM

Thanks guys.Will test the pump with direct voltage soon.also filling her up a little but I suspect the pump too.

Where can I get the gasket kit for the pump assembly except dealer? Dont want to fork out over £100 on a gasket set.

Danny

BTW... I found water below the ECU housing.The housing inside is dry.Just between the housing and inner fender...like rain water not draining.But everything electrical works perfect.No faults on scanner too.
Old 7th August 2014, 12:34 PM

Poured in 6 litres of petrol and no joy.

My friend was in the boot to listen for some noise from the pump.There was a slight hum which I heard myself when we changed places.....

Last think to do is disconnect the fuel line next to the regulator and crank it to see if Im getting petrol to the engine.

Any other thoughts?

Danny
Old 7th August 2014, 01:23 PM

Fuel pump failure is quiet common, my old D2 had a replacement at 170K miles.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 7th August 2014, 05:18 PM

What I did today left me puzzled.....
Disconnected fuel supply hose near fuel rail (black arrows on picture-I assume front is regulator and the smaller hose behind is supply to fuel rail) and covered it with a rag to not to make a mess.... and the sucker was soking wet after 3 second cranking...

My pump and relay and tank pickup must be ok then...as I see it its the bloody Crank Position Sensor....

Your thoughts?

Danny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140807_174347_0.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	8686  

Last edited by barackuda; 7th August 2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 7th August 2014, 05:24 PM

Picture? Can't see it.

I replaced my regulator (3 times in total) recently and on the last one forgot to tighten the nuts on the pipe adjacent - I'd loosened these to release pressure.
The engine bay was soaked in petrol PDQ! And sections of my tarmac drive dissolved too!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 9th August 2014, 07:51 AM

Hi Danny,
I only just realised you have a manual S8 too! Could be just our two manuals in the UK?
Welcome, and I hope you get the fuel pump sorted.

Goran
Old 9th August 2014, 02:07 PM

Hi Goran, the pump is ok.
I've attached a pressure gauge to the fuel line next to the pressure regulator, cranked it and it shows 45 PSI of pressure. Then I removed one coil pack and a spark plug to see if it works. Sparking like mad while cranking...

Fuel pump works, spark plugs work, pressure in system good....AND STILL NO START!!!

Help please...any other ideas?