A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 31st March 2015, 05:41 PM

Specifically stated it was not the tie rods as they can be worn and they have replaced those before on other cars.

Did chat more about it and gave more details than I have put here so happy with the diagnosis.
Old 31st March 2015, 05:45 PM

Share with us the details, be interesting to hear. Main thing is you are content.
Old 31st March 2015, 05:49 PM

Discussed a level of play in the hydraulic arm out of one side of the rack. Not leaking yet but will begin to fail and weep over the next six months.

Hence the knock from the rack, especially when going over rutted surfaces with the knock back from the wheels/ suspension.

Also went into the option that they can be reconditioned but it means the car is stuck on the ramp until this is done so not a great option and will take time.

New rack, changed in a day and off you go.
Old 31st March 2015, 08:14 PM

Interesting, my rack has a bit of play too and I would like to change it eventually, however even the non-servotronic rack from Audi is over £850!
What make is the Eurocarparts rack? Just cant believe a quality rack can be had for £150, but I would like it to be true.
Original rack seems to be made by ZF, Eurocarparts one by Remy. Its a moot point for me, just remembered I need a LHD rack

Last edited by Goran; 31st March 2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 31st March 2015, 09:03 PM

Hi Goran, there are plenty of people who reman them - normally it's just the seals that need replacing. I would obv speak to a ZF approved or similar outfit.

ZF sell seal kits as these are normally all that need replacing, and i tried to do mine (stripped it down successfully) bar one central seal which requires a special tool to extract that made it pointless given the one off expense, so i just bought a 2nd hand rack.. Depending on what needs doing then you can get them refurbed around (from memory) the 250 mark.
Old 31st March 2015, 09:37 PM

EuroCarParts/ CarPartsForLess do the rack for £146 but both have no stock and not going to get anymore in as I called to check tonight.

Second hand on eBay seem to be the same price which seems madness, why spend all that time installing a second hand rack that could easily go again.

Other sources have them for about £300 so even at that money its not a huge cost.
Old 31st March 2015, 10:44 PM

They dont go too regularly infact. I got a low mileage rack for sub 100 quid off a good source, and don't mind doing the work, but if you are paying for labour, understandably not something you would likely want to do.

Last edited by brasiliangringo; 31st March 2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 1st April 2015, 01:16 AM

I think I got mine from German & Swedish, cost was £300ish back in 2009ish.

As for them not going too often, I have to refute that, it's a known weak point in VAG cars as evidence by the number of failures we see just in this small community of enthusiasts.

Defo not worth putting in a 2nd hand part, it's the labour that costs the dosh on a rack swap.
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 1st April 2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
it's a known weak point in VAG cars
Nonsense. On a car 15 years old with average mileage, anything mechanical needing replacement is fair game.

Last edited by brasiliangringo; 1st April 2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 1st April 2015, 09:51 AM

Mine was 9 years old / approx 100k miles when it needed a new rack, there are plenty of examples, A8s and other VAG models, whether you like it or not.

Nearly every manufacturer/model has its weak points. For example, a rack swap on most BMWs is a relatively simple job as access is much better, but changing a lambda sensor on some is a right ballache, and my particular current model is known for throttle actuator failures (touch wood!)
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011