A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th June 2015, 08:52 AM

Default Annoying reoccurring brake wobble - HELP!

Car started getting terrible brake judder when braking on the way home from the annual meet. It became gradually worse until the car was almost undriveable.

Front discs and pads were placed last month by Formula 1, along with one of the uprights (or "hubs" as Audi calls them) at great expense.

Took it straight back there on Monday morning and they agreed to change the pads under their warranty. Got the car back and exactly the same thing is happening, if not worse. It even wobbles slightly when the brakes aren't applied now. F1 said the next step would be to fit genuine Audi pads.

Now, I do remember one of the techs taking me out to the workshop to show me the new discs on the car when they were fitted last month. It was in the air on a lift so the discs were about shoulder height. He put his hand on the driver's side disc thinking it was already bolted on but when he did so, it fell to the workshop floor narrowly missing his foot. Could this have affected anything I wonder?

Or could it be where the new pads weren't bedded in correctly? I'm conscious of holding the brakes on when stopped after braking so the heat from the pads is concentrated to one point on the disc causing warping in the long run but build op of contaminants short term. I usually slowly creep forward in traffic to avoid this now.

Sorry for the long winded post but I want to get to the bottom of this!
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 5th June 2015 at 09:22 AM.