A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 24th August 2009, 12:42 PM

Default LPG Fitters

I think this should probably be my next mod, Anyone recommend any? How much is labour? I have a source for a second hand prins system..
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 24th August 2009, 02:19 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

I doubt that many fitters would fit a second hand system. You really want a good multi-point sequential system. If its a complex system it's probably beyond the DIY stage, Prinz for example won't allow there programming software to be used by anyone who isn't a Prinz approved fitter!

For a second hand system a fitter would probably want to pressure test and re-certificate the tank (not much less than a new tank), fit new pipework and fittings, clean test and fit the injectors (not much less than new injectors). They would also take just as long as fitting a new kit so labour charges are the same and then not give a guaranttee as it's not new!

HTH

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 24th August 2009, 02:25 PM

Thanks Conan, so a new one it is then. I have been quoted £1600 for a 'Romaneo' system. Are these any good? I will ask about multi point squential. Does anyone offer a fitting where the LPG filer is hidden?
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
Old 25th August 2009, 01:37 PM

Hi there,

I would be careful in going with a cheap system. You certainly want a multipoint system. Prins are good if pricey from what i hear and what is fitted to my car by Northern Autogas who did what looks to be a good job.

I thought i'd heard some bad stuff regarding the romano system....albeit i belive due to a poor installation.

http://www.lpginfo.co.uk/

cya,
Lee
Old 25th August 2009, 01:51 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

I have to add that the guy that fitted my Prinz sequential multi point had some horror stories to tell about Romano systems. He has had to repair/replace quite a few. Remember if its cheap it's probably cheap!

The problem with our cars is the labour time to fit the kit. My LPG ECU is buried beneath the airbox. So to fit it out comes the airbox adding to the labour time.

Amar, you may wish to investigate direct injection LPG which will allow you to start on LPG and theoretically do away with petrol completely. I saw such a system at the German meet. We can chat about it on Sunday.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.

Last edited by Conan_the_Librarian; 25th August 2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 28th August 2009, 06:02 PM

My brother in laws mate has had his D2 S8 done for £1.5k in Redditch its a Prins system. Will find out more details and report back.
Old 9th September 2009, 01:18 PM

Hi There,

The guy who did my fuel pump is an LPG guy and he said he would fit a second hand kit on the understanding it was second hand etc....Also that it was the correct one for the car, power, cylinders etc. He's in Huntingdon and his work seems good. However i'd still probably say new and warenty is better in this case.

cya,
Lee
Old 27th October 2009, 07:52 PM
Funkmiester

Default Lpg s8

hi, sorry for the late to the party response.
Mine is LPG bought it from the guy who had it converted over 60K ago. It's now at 139K I've just had the vaporiser replaced locally (£200). It is a romano multipoint
http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/ look on gallery/audi/s8. I'm fairly certain this is my car (back when it was shiny). I have the docs from them and the cert. If this is not my car then they converted an identical model around the same time and did it in exactly the same way!

Can't fault it. LPG is 48ppl around here and to be honest I would not have the car without it as I do too many miles. I've never had a problem getting it, especially here in Yorkshire where most Morrisons/ shells do it.
Performance is unnoticable unless you are really kicking it (like the addingham to a59 road) in which case press a button and it seamlessly drops into petrol (and back) if you want. The worst thing to say about the whole thing is it takes twice as long to fill up than petrol (but it costs less than half!).
Next car is likley to be LPG as well, If someone else has paid the conversion then why buy a car without it??