A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 19th February 2009, 08:57 AM

Default O Ring

Someone posted this image of the O Ring below on TSN, is this from the Audi UK service procedure? After speaking to Chester Auto Transmissions I am really worried that they have not changed it and have been on the phone to the Audi A8 team, apperently the service manager did not even know what an 'O Ring' was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38-2.JPG
Views:	722
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	65  
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 19th February 2009, 10:05 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Singh,

This subject has come up derveral times on TSN. Without the o-ring there is a danger of the pump loosing vacumn and cavitation occuring. Pressure is lost withing the transmission and damage occurs.

There is only one way to find out if it is there!

You''l have to open her up to confirm it's prescence.

If however, you have no transmission issues then it's likely it is not missing. A careful watch is needed.

The picture is from the Bently on-line service manual. Audi don't have a service procedure for the 5 speed boxes. Sealed for Life!!!! Although they do have an exploded diagram in ELSAWIN with accompying directions or disassembly and reasembly.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 19th February 2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks Mike, box has started to feel funny now. It was ever so smooth before the change, they did not change the o ring when they done the oil change as they did not even know what it was. I'm not sure what steps to take now as they say they have followed the Audi procedure. I may ask ZF what there view is on the O Ring and get back to Audi.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
Old 19th February 2009, 10:56 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

I can confirm that the audi manual says always replace. Remember the manual is directed toward rebuilding the box after disassemble. The reasembly procedure is always to replace the o-ring. Always.

To change the filter you must dissasemble the component parts, therefore the re-asemble procedure has to be followed.

From the way you say it, they may not have replaced the o-ring. That dosent mean they haven't refitted the old one. If that's the case then I would ask them 'did you re-fit the old o-ring or replace it with a new one'. Do it in writing as evoidence trail. I will try to find the Audi re-assemble procedure when I get home.

What warranty did they give on their workmanship?

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.

Previously
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
Old 19th February 2009, 11:07 AM

Am I missing something here chaps? I thought that the method that Chester Auto Transmissions used was different ie. they used a special pump thingy to suck out the fluid while replacing it at the same time (like a heart transplant!)
If that is the case then will they have taken everything/anything apart and cleaned off magnet filters and replaced gaskets and o-rings even at all?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 19th February 2009, 11:12 AM

Interesting point Architex, Mike. If you could get the Audi version that would be brilliant. Just what I need to show them to make them sort my box out. The warranty would be the standard Audi one on parts 24 months?
Old 19th February 2009, 02:00 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Am I missing something here chaps? I thought that the method that Chester Auto Transmissions used was different ie. they used a special pump thingy to suck out the fluid while replacing it at the same time (like a heart transplant!)
If that is the case then will they have taken everything/anything apart and cleaned off magnet filters and replaced gaskets and o-rings even at all?
While I believe that is what they do. It would be pointles if they had not changed the filter (blocked filters cause cavitation) of cleaned the sump magnets first. For which it is off sump and out filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Interesting point Architex, Mike. If you could get the Audi version that would be brilliant. Just what I need to show them to make them sort my box out. The warranty would be the standard Audi one on parts 24 months?
An Audi warranty by Chester Auto Transmisions? If you have an Audi warranty on the car they won't guarantee a third parties work. Have Chester Auto's given you a guatantee?

Watch it if you dare

Currently,

Previously
Old 19th February 2009, 02:07 PM

I think you have misunderstood and looking back at my first post I can see why.
The work was done at Audi, I just spoke to Chester Auto transmissions about the importance of the O Ring and if my gearbox was now in danger as Audi hadn't replaced it.
Old 19th February 2009, 07:43 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

ere we go....
Automatic Gearbox 01L, Four-wheel Drive Removing and installing oil pan, ATF screen and valve body
Removing and installing oil pan
Removing
  • Place container under the gearbox.
  • → Unscrew the ATF drain plug -1- and drain off ATF.
Note:
A small quantity of ATF will remain in the oil pan.
  • Unscrew oil pan bolts working diagonally.
  • Remove the oil pan.
Note:
Clean the solenoids in the oil pan (4 off). Ensure that the solenoid is in full contact with the oil pan
Installing
Install in reverse order. The following steps must also be performed.
Note:
The drain plug with sealing ring must be replaced.
  • Replace gaskets and seals.
  • Tighten oil pan bolts, working diagonally in several stages.
  • Changing the ATF or filling after repair work => Page 37-65.
Tightening torques
Component
Tightening torque
Drain plug in oil pan
12 Nm
Oil pan to gearbox housing (working diagonally)
10 Nm

Automatic Gearbox 01L, Four-wheel Drive Removing and installing oil pan, ATF screen and valve body
Removing and installing ATF screen
Removing
  • Remove oil pan => Page 38-9.
  • → Unscrew the two ATF screen bolts -arrows-
  • Pull ATF screen off valve body.
Installing
  • Apply a thin coating of ATF to the seal around the suction collar of the ATF screen.
  • Bolt on the ATF screen.
  • Installing oil pan => Page 38-10
  • Changing the ATF or filling after repair work => Page 37-65.
Tightening torques
Component
Tightening torque
ATF screen to valve body
5 Nm
Oil pan to gearbox housing (working diagonally)
10 Nm

Important bit emboldened....

The diagrams
Part 29 is the critical one

Watch it if you dare

Currently,

Previously
Old 25th February 2009, 02:00 PM
harpersimon

I was going to say.. I remember your horry story with Audi, and Chester Trans have had great write ups on TSN for service. They do indeed suck and replace via the cooler.