A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 11th November 2012, 05:34 AM

It water condensing from air on the aircon evaporator and it's a lot more then couple of drips.

Take a look under car in hot summer day when aircon has been working for a while standing in one place you might think you have coolant leak. On along journey it could easily be pint of water or more.

Car has pollen filters but some fine dust still get through them and after years of use bacteria and fungi start growing on dust and water until there is enough to block the drains.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 11th November 2012, 07:10 PM

possibility
Old 3rd August 2013, 12:43 PM

Think i've got it bad.....

On Thursday I was greeted by this

Then this morning by this

Drain clearing time. Where are the drains for the sunroof?

Cheers

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 3rd August 2013, 02:10 PM

Managed to shove a lance into the drain pipes at the top of the sunroof and blow compressed air through it.
A lot of debris and water came out the other end so hopefully that is that.

Cheers

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 3rd August 2013, 02:32 PM

Eek.. that's fairly bad!

My PF D3 had a water leak, but it was more under the carpet than on top.. Fingers crossed it hasn't gotten into any of the electronics.

I know.. I know..

Old 3rd August 2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Eek.. that's fairly bad!

My PF D3 had a water leak, but it was more under the carpet than on top.. Fingers crossed it hasn't gotten into any of the electronics.
Aye....

The first pic was when the car was flat and we had those thunder storms. It was dripping in through the where the sunroof control is.
The second pic is when the car was parked on my drive, possibly a 10 degree angle with the nose of the car pointing down.

Hoping I have now sorted the problem. Bloody cars..........

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 21st October 2013, 11:10 AM

Default Drains

After seeing some of the horror storys about flooded interiors I had a look at mine.

I first had the trims off in the engine bay around the windscreen and it was like a garden in there dead leaves and **** so i hoovered as much as i could out with the detail attachment on the hoover.

I then carefully poured some water in both sides and it was running out the bottom of the car so hopefully they are ok, i don't have access to a ramp so cant do the same as in this thread.

I then had a look at the sunroof gutter and there was a lot of dust debris so i cleaned that out with a brush and the hoover.

Once it was clean i got my bug spray bottle and slowly filled the gutter with water, and the drains were blocked.

I tried poking a flexible wire down the front tubes but couldn't get the water to clear away.

I then cut a piece of the hose of the bug spray bottle and attached to the end of the hard plastic tube where the spray head normally sits and it fitted perfectly into the sunroof drain and when i pressurised it I could here the tube clearing, i flushed both tubes through with about 2 lltrs of water and after doing that the gutter drained nicely.

However I cant see anyway to do the rear sunroof drains and as my drive has a slight slope on it if there is going to be any water in the sunroof gutter it will be towards the rear drains.

Does anyone have a easy solution to clearing the rear drains?

Elsa shows that they come down to the rear wheel wells but that requires pulling the wheels off and trims to get access?

Old 7th November 2013, 10:33 PM

Does anyone know if it's possible to clear the D3 plenum/bulkhead drains from the top of the car? Mine are well blocked... Seems the inlet for the drain hidden is under the blower motor housing though?
Old 11th January 2014, 11:00 PM

i've trawled the web to no avail.

Does anyone have pics of the plenum drains from above, I guess they are some where under the air thing in the middle in front of the windscreen but not sure.

I tried to find them today with my borescope but all i could see was leaves and other detritus and with all the flooded interiors of late I'm getting paranoid again.

Old 14th January 2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
i've trawled the web to no avail.

Does anyone have pics of the plenum drains from above, I guess they are some where under the air thing in the middle in front of the windscreen but not sure.

I tried to find them today with my borescope but all i could see was leaves and other detritus and with all the flooded interiors of late I'm getting paranoid again.
You won't get them from the top, even with fancy tools, but it's easy to do it from underneath without too much bother. You don't even need to take undertrays off or anything, but unless you have a ramp, expect to get a bit dirty....
I jacked mine up with axle stands, then crawled under armed only with a torch and a 2ft length of hosepipe taped onto the end of a hoover I'm not particularly fond of. Then prod away trying not to get too much of it in your face. It took me about 15 minutes start to finish to get mine from totally blocked to completely clean.