A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Trims

D3 - Interior Trims Seats, dashboards, plastics, everything inside the cabin

Old 28th January 2017, 08:27 PM

Default Armrest Strut

Who knew the arm rest had a little strut?

Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 28th January 2017, 09:00 PM

Didn't know the D3 did, but the PF D2 did if it had a factory phone installed.
I tried and failed (dismally) to get a replacement gas strut some years ago (car has gone to the A8parts graveyard since then).
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 28th January 2017, 09:07 PM

I've just spent the last hour looking and it appears to be no longer avaliable.

Tempted to talk to SGS and see how much they want to re-gas it.

See if its worth the hassle to get in there and strip it down.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.

Last edited by ScottD3; 29th January 2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 29th January 2017, 09:21 AM

Wow! Who knew, right?!

I don't think my armrest was especially damped in it's movement, so I don't know if that means I don't have a strut, or that the strut is knackered.

Hmmm....

2008 Audi S8
Old 29th January 2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
Wow! Who knew, right?!

I don't think my armrest was especially damped in it's movement, so I don't know if that means I don't have a strut, or that the strut is knackered.

Hmmm....
I suspect the struts are broken.
Possibly due to people forcing the lids down and popping the seals.

Be good is SGS can refurbish them.

Last edited by ScottD3; 29th January 2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 29th January 2017, 04:01 PM

Emailed SGS. See what they say.
Old 29th January 2017, 07:32 PM

You realise, you're now going to have to post a how-to guide for removing and refitting the armrests, right?!

2008 Audi S8
Old 29th January 2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
You realise, you're now going to have to post a how-to guide for removing and refitting the armrests, right?!
Nahhhhh.
Old 30th January 2017, 11:08 AM

Got an email back from SGS.

Quote:
Thank you for your enquiry with SGS Engineering. This unit is a damper rather than a gas strut, we do not have the facility to repair or replace these units so unfortunately we will not be able to proceed with this enquiry.

Thank you for trying SGS Engineering, please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any future enquiries.

Kind regards,

SGS Engineering
Bugger!!

If anyone does find a damper that works or away to replace these.
To strip the arm rest down is a bit of bit of paint but doable.
Just remember how it goes back.
You also need to push out the retaining pins that holds the main ally body together to be able to strip the strut out.

I will do a guide next time I strip them down.
Old 30th January 2017, 01:48 PM

RC Cars have similar dampers, but probably not worth the hassle of changing the ends or fashioning adapters.. Does it have a Nm rating on it? I would expect 200-400Nm. I think the damper just acts at the top of the armrest travel to catch it before it bounces off the endstop and then hold it wide open somewhat - once closing it doesn't seem to have any effect. What do other think?