A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Our Other Audi Friends > A6/S6/RS6 C6

A6/S6/RS6 C6 2004-2011

Old 11th April 2018, 08:16 PM

Default RS6 Gearbox - No reverse

Hi there,

i was chatting to a helpful mechanic at the local garage and he said he was looking at my gearbox (A8 4.2 D3) as it was the same/similar to an RS6 he was having a problem.

He said that forwards was fine, but no reverse gear, which sounds a little odd when i've experienced limp mode with the ZF gearboxes.

He seemed a little stuck with some of the local gearbox places not being interested, so i said i'd do some digging. Irritatingly i've not got the model and year on me, but i'm guessing someone here at least knows the odd pointer.

Based Peterborough/Cambridge area

thanks,
Lee

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 11th April 2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
Hi there,

i was chatting to a helpful mechanic at the local garage and he said he was looking at my gearbox (A8 4.2 D3) as it was the same/similar to an RS6 he was having a problem.

He said that forwards was fine, but no reverse gear, which sounds a little odd when i've experienced limp mode with the ZF gearboxes.

He seemed a little stuck with some of the local gearbox places not being interested, so i said i'd do some digging. Irritatingly i've not got the model and year on me, but i'm guessing someone here at least knows the odd pointer.

Based Peterborough/Cambridge area

thanks,
Lee
Might possibly be F125 switch (gear selector on the side of the gearbox) problems as they often start with random red lights of doom on selecting reverse only

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 12th April 2018, 12:11 PM

I think i'm going to go see if I can get a VCDS scan as It would surprise me if a small village garage has VCDS etc

From a quick look the F125 switch shows as an error code?

Previous :

Also :
Old 12th April 2018, 12:14 PM

The F125 switch in itself is a very dumb mechanical unit so doesn't give any error information at all, but the ECUs take information from its state and do record errors as a result.

The common "early warning" would be the 01119 - Gear Recognition Signal error.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th April 2018, 01:27 PM

...and for some reason the switch seems to "react" to selecting reverse as if the change of the electromechanical contacts in passing between forward and reverse positions triggers the fault or, in some cases, "cures" it.

As HP says "Gear recognition signal" fault code is the usual indicator.
Old 12th April 2018, 04:11 PM

Just nipped down the garage to pass on Chester Autos number, but whilst there I had my VCDS in the car and did a scan.

It's a 1999 model with 98,500miles

It goes forward not problems, drives great.
Reverse gear selects on the dash and no limp mode or error flags.....It just doesn't move backwards! Apparently when it's really warm after a long journey etc it will slowly move backwards

VCDS shows nothing on the auto trans. Engine had a couple of lambda b1,s1 errors and voltage too low....a couple of errors on level, locks and headlight range....which since it probably hasn't been read in a while could well be old and it did have a low battery.

Previous :

Also :
Old 12th April 2018, 04:31 PM

Sounds like it’s a genuine mechanical issue. Gearbox clearly thinks it’s working or it’d be flagging a fault. Might be fairly simple valve issue, but inevitably the box will have to come out to investigate properly. Not a fun job on a C5 RS - can be done without engine removal I believe but whether a local garage would want to.....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 13th April 2018, 11:39 AM

The C5 RS6 didn't exist in 1999 Earliest models are 2003. Is it an S6?

Symptoms suggest one of the clutch drums disintegrated. Disconnect the gearbox ECU (under the driver's footwell carpet) and see if it goes backwards then.

If so it needs to go to Chester, Mackies etc for a new drum and full rebuild.
Old 13th April 2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The C5 RS6 didn't exist in 1999 Earliest models are 2003. Is it an S6?

Symptoms suggest one of the clutch drums disintegrated. Disconnect the gearbox ECU (under the driver's footwell carpet) and see if it goes backwards then.

If so it needs to go to Chester, Mackies etc for a new drum and full rebuild.
I think you are right. S6 - I was guessing based on the mechanic mentioning it was the same gearbox/engine line as my D3 and due to a private reg no idea of the age, I only got that yesterday on a second look etc.
If i'm honest i'm not that up on Audi's apart from the 8's

It's not mine but i've passed on Chester and suggested calling them, they'll pass that on to the owner and we can hope.

Looks a nice car and doing a net search they got it for a good price, albeit knowing that it had a gearbox issue. I think they were thinking it was a simple garage job rather than what it'll end up being!

Previous :

Also :
Old 13th April 2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
It goes forward not problems, drives great.
Reverse gear selects on the dash and no limp mode or error flags.....It just doesn't move backwards!
I remember reading somewhere (last few months) of someone whose father forced the gear lever on a D2 A8 from the Park position without pressing the button, with the result that it wouldn't go in reverse. I'll see if I can track it down from Chrome's history, and if there was ever a follow-up to it.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds