A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Wheels and Tyres

D4 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 27th January 2016, 10:18 PM

Decision made then I think on the Goodyears, they are slightly cheaper than the Pirellis anyway. Thanks again for the input.
Old 27th January 2016, 10:33 PM

I use the Pirelli P Zero with Noise Cancelling System for Audi (R01). Best tyre I've used to date. Beats the Contis, Dunlops, Bridgestones etc. Not tried the Goodyears but I believe some have had premature wear issues with them. I normally get about 18k-20k a set out of my Contis, but the last lot (Dunlop SP SportMaxx) were dire... Only got about 13k before they'd gone oval or flat-spotted and made the car sound like all the wheel-bearings had gone. We will see how the P Zeros go. They just eat up wet roads like no other tyre I've tried. They go through standing water like it's not even there. I guess as they are OE for the Audi RS6 and Bentleys and R type Jags they must be quite good. The NCS (Noise Cancelling System) is basically foam rubber glued to the inside of the tyre, but they are very quiet in the cabin. Probably the quietest I've had so far too. YMMV.
Old 30th September 2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S View Post
I use the Pirelli P Zero with Noise Cancelling System for Audi (R01). Best tyre I've used to date. Beats the Contis, Dunlops, Bridgestones etc. Not tried the Goodyears but I believe some have had premature wear issues with them. I normally get about 18k-20k a set out of my Contis, but the last lot (Dunlop SP SportMaxx) were dire... Only got about 13k before they'd gone oval or flat-spotted and made the car sound like all the wheel-bearings had gone. We will see how the P Zeros go. They just eat up wet roads like no other tyre I've tried. They go through standing water like it's not even there. I guess as they are OE for the Audi RS6 and Bentleys and R type Jags they must be quite good. The NCS (Noise Cancelling System) is basically foam rubber glued to the inside of the tyre, but they are very quiet in the cabin. Probably the quietest I've had so far too. YMMV.
I have P Zeros as well. How do I tell if I have Noise Cancelling ?
2015 A8 Edition 21 - 3.0L V6 Quattro - Mythos Black, Soft close doors, BOSE audio system, Keyless start/entry, Privacy glass, Electric heated memory seats, Black with Black Valcona leather interior complemented with Red diamond stitching , 20'' five double spoke alloy wheels, Satellite Navigation, Automatic dual zone climate, Leather multi function steering wheel, Electric heated folding auto dimming wing mirrors, Electric steering column, Cruise control, Paddle shift, Auto dimming rear view mirror, Hill hold, Rain sensors, Audi music interface, Power boot, Automatic lights, Start/stop, DAB radio, SD port x2, Bluetooth connectivity/media streaming.

Old 30th September 2016, 04:36 PM

I suspect the only way to be sure is have one taken off and a have a look for the "foam". I would'nt be too concerned as the Cabin in the D4 is very quiet and tyre noise is unlikely to be an issue no matter what the brand. P Zero's are great to last, I had several sets on my old D3 over the years and was always happy with them.
Old 1st October 2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodshot View Post
I have P Zeros as well. How do I tell if I have Noise Cancelling ?
There is an "NCS" badge on the side of them somewhere.

Here are some photos of NCS tyre I have spare.

One shows "R01" decal which is Audi OE
One shows the "foam" inside
One shows "PNCS" Pirelli Noise Cancelling System decal.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161001_134018.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	14494   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161001_134026.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	557.9 KB
ID:	14495   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161001_134035.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	14496  
Old 1st October 2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S View Post
The NCS (Noise Cancelling System) is basically foam rubber glued to the inside of the tyre, but they are very quiet in the cabin. Probably the quietest I've had so far too. YMMV.
Bear in mind that this noise cancelling design makes them harder to repair in the event of punctures. I've had both KwikFit - who normally are very flexible with me - and NTS both telling me that foam-lined tyres (in my case ContiSilents) are difficult/uneconomic to repair. So if you get a nail in the tread body, you may be told you need a new tyre, rather than a £10 repair.
Old 1st October 2016, 02:52 PM

This is true, but that's why I have that spare tyre in the garage. I had a nail go through one of my rears but it was about half an inch from the sidewall so it couldn't be repaired anyway so I bought a new pair. I will keep this one for a spare.