A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 19th June 2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I was assuming the control was the same as the B5 - turn one way to slide, the other to tilt. I'm sure my 99 was like that, but I may be mistaken. Never even occurred to me to push it.

I'll get my coat...
My B5 was the same as the D2, but then it had "pre-select" which may make the difference, perhaps your B5 didn't have that option...

I usually prefer to tilt just to let a little breeze in but do sometimes open it fully, not often though as I'm normally using the air-con.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 28th June 2017, 01:47 PM

yet another here who wondered why the roof didn't tilt !!!!

yesterday was at the kini and my wife sat in the car reading ; as it was steaming hot she parked under a tree ,opened all windows and the roof ; when ~I got back I demonstrated the tilt feature and she was duly impressed , just like our 3000S capri she said

as I had to go out early this AM I left the car out in the level courtyard , and as a storm was forecast remembered to shut everything !good job , thunder/lightning/torrential rain in the evening [no satellite TV ]

started up this AM , slid back the roof , pint of water on my head !!!
never had a leak before....any thoughts on why ?
Old 30th June 2017, 07:30 PM

The only thing I can think of is blocked sunroof drains - 2 at the front of the sunroof and 2 at the back.

I didn't get any water on my head but when I went to change a bulb in the rear reading lights and pulled the light out of the headlining, I noticed that the roof was wet. So I poured some water in the sunroof channels to and it stayed there and didn't drip on the floor near the wheels (which it should).

So I assumed mine were blocked. I had to push a wire down the front 2 to where they exited at the front of the front door.
For the rear ones I couldn't push anything DOWN because the tops of the drains are so far back under the roof that I couldn't see them, never mind get to them. So it meant sliding the rear bumper back and pushing a wire UP the drains to clear them.

So until someone else suggests differently, I would try unclogging your drains. I think there are a few posts on here about it. Go to SEARCH and type in SUNROOF DRAIN and you should get a few posts to read.
Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnick View Post

yet another here who wondered why the roof didn't tilt !!!!

yesterday was at the kini and my wife sat in the car reading ; as it was steaming hot she parked under a tree ,opened all windows and the roof ; when ~I got back I demonstrated the tilt feature and she was duly impressed , just like our 3000S capri she said

as I had to go out early this AM I left the car out in the level courtyard , and as a storm was forecast remembered to shut everything !good job , thunder/lightning/torrential rain in the evening [no satellite TV ]

started up this AM , slid back the roof , pint of water on my head !!!
never had a leak before....any thoughts on why ?

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Old 1st July 2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanker View Post
For the rear ones I couldn't push anything DOWN because the tops of the drains are so far back under the roof that I couldn't see them, never mind get to them. So it meant sliding the rear bumper back and pushing a wire UP the drains to clear them.
Access may be easier through the boot, rather than pulling the bumper?
Right hand side is easy to get to as you can see the tube (usually blue) in front of the battery going into the drain fitting.
Take a small container (margarine pot size) and pull it out of the fitting and drain into the container.

Then clean out the drain fitting with wire or air or whatever.

Left hand side a bit more complicated due to entertainment gear - you'll need to pull the CD changer and anything above it (or maybe the frame, can't remember how I did mine).

Just check the boot under floor areas for water (mine was full of water when it happened to me). It can drown the BOSE amp (where fitted) and parking sensor ECU.

If you do pull the bumper, you can fix the drain permanently with a Stanley Knife

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)

Last edited by 27litres; 1st July 2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 1st July 2017, 10:15 PM

I think the solar roof looks rather smart in a shiny gloss black kind of way on a silver roof. And having a car that's slightly warm on a scorching day is a work of genius. One of the things I would miss if the next car doesn't have one.

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids