A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 2nd September 2015, 12:37 PM

Default Help on choosing new exhaust for S8 please

Hi all,

Appreciate a few threads on S8 exhausts but wanted to ask the question still.

I have a FL S8 which I am loving. I’ve now sold by 8N 3.2 which I adored and it sounded better to my ears. I appreciate the S8 is an exec car, but I wished it was a bit more vocal, more of a rumble at normal speeds, with more of a V8 howl when gunning it.

Now I’m thinking Milltek purely because they are a well known name so my questions are:

What custom exhausts have people put on their cars?
Can people show pics?
What should I expect to pay? I don’t want to to be shelling out £1k on a Milltek when there may be better options out there for less.

Oh and looks wise. I think I want OEM, just perhaps slightly bigger pipes. I do like the GT80 style sawn off shotgun style Milltek though…
Old 2nd September 2015, 01:22 PM

I can't really help with your question, but I can tell you that the Milltek sounds fantastic! Never too droney on the motorway, but sounds excellent when you want it to!

Sorry, that didn't help did it!

2016 S3 Sportback
Old 2nd September 2015, 01:27 PM

Hiya

I have the Milltek on my S8 but I believe they no longer produce a d2 system :/ I think if there were a number of orders they would make a batch but last time I checked there were none available

It strikes a good balance between a more bass rumble at idle and a bit more volume on throttle without being lairy or too NASCAR sounding

There's a few custom places that are recommended but I'd stick close to the original box layout if you want it to cruise without drone

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 2nd September 2015, 02:21 PM

Thanks, I’m not completely against a Milltek just wanted to know options!

I’ve seen a Milltek come up on eBay although think it’s gone again so am prepared to wait for one if that’s the one to go for. I’m also not keen on the drone that some ‘lesser’ systems may potentially give.

Really just want the V8 to sound a bit more meaty without being appearing chavvy aftermarket.

My neighbour has a new RS7 with an Akrapovic which sounds fantastic. Guessing they probably don’t make one for an S2 D8 though…!
Old 2nd September 2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Peach View Post
I can't really help with your question, but I can tell you that the Milltek sounds fantastic! Never too droney on the motorway, but sounds excellent when you want it to!

Sorry, that didn't help did it!
Is yours a non-res?
Old 2nd September 2015, 05:12 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I've been looking to do this too for a long time. Once I've got my car perfect in every other way, a custom exhaust is on the list.

I'd be looking for an exhaust that makes no noticeable difference under light throttle, so as not to spoil the tranquillity and refinement at cruise, but one that will let the roar and rasp of the V8 escape when driven enthusiastically. I'd also like the exhaust to release a few more horses, if possible, by improving exhaust gas flow, for which reason I'm considering a custom exhaust that has twin pipes, all the way back, to keep gasses from the two banks separate.

I've spoken to a number of friends and acquaintances in the trade, and one company that has been recommended a few times is Pipe Werx who, I'm told, are particularity knowledgeable in all things VAG. Might be worth giving them a call if you're not based too far away.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 2nd September 2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 2nd September 2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHooky View Post
Is yours a non-res?
Milltek only ever did one version of exhaust - a cat back resonated system

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 2nd September 2015, 05:32 PM

Adrian's right, you can't get a (new) Miltek system for a D2 any more. As and when I need to replace mine, I'll probably go to MIJ in Walsall, which might suit you, depending on where you are (your location's not listed)

http://www.mijexhaust.com

They get good press (on here and elsewhere), and I've been impressed with the work they've done for me previously. They're also quite happy to tune the exhaust to fit your specific tastes, and I'm happy with mine.
Old 2nd September 2015, 06:32 PM

Mine will be up on a ramp tomorrow getting its MOT so will try and grab a pic of the system

Need to check out if a rear diff seal needs doing yet so will be having a look!

Old 3rd September 2015, 07:55 AM

If your exhaust is physically fine and you just want some more sound, why not try the ultra cheap option of just removing the back box. Several owners have done this on here, their cars sound really good. Simply removing that back box releases the proper V8 sound.
I don't know if there are any sound clips.
There was a set of replacement pipes in the For Sale section for £100

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10441