A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 19th April 2018, 07:34 AM

Default Headlamp bulb holder

I have just bought a motor from China for the inside of the headlamp, not yet sure if this is going to cure the fault but its got rust on the wiring connector, the active bending light flashes on the dash.
I first thought that when turning the light turned the direction your going, but it only comes on In that direction silly me.

My other problem is the same as others in the light is yellow in colour even the side light compared to the other side, its a new headlamp fitted when I bought the car.

Have I read that the xenon bulb holder can be replaced by EM lighting.
Does the person that owns this company come on here, or do I ring them direct.
Also can I fit this part when I replace the motor or does the headlamp have to be pulled apart.

Hopefully someone will have all the answers,
I have one and its torch it.

Is a D4 more reliable?
Tps quote £650 for headlamp, more than the cars worth

Cheers
David
Old 19th April 2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubadria View Post
I have just bought a motor from China for the inside of the headlamp
The xenon light swivels when steering (an moving forwards) as well as the cornering light turning on and off. My headlights are off the car at the moment, so if you want me to look at anything or take a hi-res photo let me know. I saw on youtube that to open them up, you have to cut the black plastic with a hot knife and then reseal. They can't be pulled apart after heating like older units as the glue doesn't melt.
Old 20th April 2018, 07:19 PM

I think this is the motor, seems to drive a worm gear to move the xenon left and right.

Attachment 18506

Attachment 18507

Last edited by snapdragon; 23rd April 2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 22nd April 2018, 04:18 PM

Yes i think that's it ordered from China.
Wondered if the xenon projector part is worth replacing while I fix the motor, haven't got round to ringing em tuning not lighting as I thought on the cost for one, as the O/S is new.
Old 23rd April 2018, 08:40 AM

Trups Patel is the guy that owns EM Tuning, he doesn't scan this forum as far as I know - his website is http://emtuning.co.uk/about-us/#
or you can call him on 01604-212743

He does do Morimoto lens upgrades for headlights but would need your lights for a few days to do them

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 23rd April 2018, 08:44 PM

Thanks
Will give him a ring, not sure if I can be without the car though, as wife doesn't like me driving her car Fiat 500 abarth.

Cheers
David
Old 25th April 2018, 09:17 AM

Any news David?
I had a more detailed look at mine and the reflectors are terrible - in fact the first time I looked, I decided that they can't be a reflector and it must work some other way.
They are mostly just dull tarnished beige not reflective at all where they need to be . What garbage (Hella) for a light that is £1,200 each!

I am also not too sure they can be removed. Some say with AFLS they can't be withdrawn from behind like on the simpler version (but this was for the A6 of same vintage).

I am loathed to start trying to take it apart and end up ruining something and it's not like I have a spare part to put in there.
They seem a bit fragile and have dodgy wiring. Check your bunch of shiny black wires inside the light, I have seen on youtube one can snap at the end with metal fatigue due to being too taught and moving back and forth all the time with the lamp swivelling.

Here is some useful info ...
http://www.oemxenonshop.com/Audi-A8-...er-Change.html

https://www.retrofitlab.com/blog/aud...ox-r-retrofit/ (for similar A6)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKngB6OcPvA (broken wire)

Last edited by snapdragon; 25th April 2018 at 09:50 AM.