A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 26th March 2016, 04:56 PM

I did see them while looking for the same setup as in mine, only thing with that is its not very expandable.

The one in mine has been wired such that the first fuse supply's everything the second fuse protects the parking module if the relay should fail and the others are consumers.

I like the idea of remote starting heaters

You seen these Ray?

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.u...01/category/37

Last edited by Delboy; 26th March 2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 26th March 2016, 09:01 PM

Del,
That was the first one I saw and made a note but also needed a relay to fit.
Then spotted the one I have ordered, just lazy on my part.
I was looking at the fuse strips that are already wired with 5 inch wires. There were four way and six way. Each was split into two banks, so two inputs and four or six outputs. No attached relay but my thought was fuses available for 30 as well as 15.
Then realised that I only needed one for a DVD player.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 26th March 2016, 09:09 PM

Del,
I was looking at the fuse strips that are already wired with 5 inch wires. There were four way and six way. Each was split into two banks, so two inputs and four or six outputs. No attached relay but my thought was fuses available for 30 as well as 15.

An afterthought, have reread your previous comments.
Have you disconnected the black/yellow from the parking aid controller and connected that to the relay coil, then supplied the parking aid controller from one of the new fuses?
I was planning on just tapping from the black/yellow to the relay coil because that would not be a big increase of load.

Have you seen this:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1219309675...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I have used a couple on different buses with great success.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)

Last edited by tc4332; 26th March 2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 26th March 2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Del,

An afterthought, have reread your previous comments.
Have you disconnected the black/yellow from the parking aid controller and connected that to the relay coil, then supplied the parking aid controller from one of the new fuses?
I was planning on just tapping from the black/yellow to the relay coil because that would not be a big increase of load.

Have you seen this:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1219309675...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I have used a couple on different buses with great success.
I didn't do that Ray but its not a bad idea.

They way mine is done and if you refer back to the photos you will see what I mean.

The Parking module is supplied by a 5 amp circuit to A1, from there tapped off is the blue wire, that has been fed through a fuse and from there to the coil of the relay to switch the relay.

Its a 7.5 amp fuse at present but i intend to drop that to 1 amp as soon as i can in order to protect the feed to the parking module should the relay short out.

The relay is fed from the heavy red cable that feeds the the other fuse panel and is a large current rating so again needs to be fused at a rating above your total demand.

So thats two fuses before you even think about the circuit your going to power.

Hence the three fuse relay that i showed you, I tried to find the unit in my car as its expandable but have yet to find it.

Old 26th March 2016, 10:37 PM

Understood.
The 15 supply to the parking module is already fused so the current drawn by the relay coil in my mind would not overload this circuit.
The DVD player in my case is also a relatively low consumption item so I plan on using the 30 from one of the fuses in the OEM strip, but iirc there are a couple of unused fuse positions there which I could use.

Old 26th March 2016, 11:03 PM

There certainly a few spare on mine, repair wires for the terminals to add extra fuses to that fuse box is quite easy and is covered in my reverse camera retrofit.

You are of course correct that the supply to the parking module is protected by its fuse but I like the idea of extra protection so if the relay was to fail it doesn't take out the parking module at the same time, admittedly it's highly unlikely.

Can't believe none of us thought about tapping into that module before for the switched live.

Old 27th March 2016, 03:04 AM

I agree that we have all been a bit slow there
I am a bit loath to put fuses in series but understand where you are coming from. Make the new fuse much lower than the OEM one for parking module and it should be good.
I've enjoyed this thread, Del, cheered me up no end.
Bit of a bad time for us. On Monday we are driving to Edinburgh for a funeral, one of my old coach drivers. On Tuesday we are in Salisbury for a big military funeral, a lad I have known since I was fifteen, and I am carrying the Standard.
Oh well, keep on plugging away. Your wiring puts me to shame. I'll have a tidy up when the weather turns warmer 'cos I have to work outdoors. These 8s are a bit big for normal garages.

Old 27th March 2016, 09:56 AM

Sorry to hear of your loss Ray it's never an easy thing to deal with.

As to your driveway maintenance I feel your pain there too, when the power steering hose was getting replaced I spent most of the day laying on the driveway with it drizzling on and off all day. Had to be done though.

Glad you enjoy the thread though.

Old 5th May 2016, 08:04 PM

My car is non-standard
I have just added a laptop power supply in the boot using this method.
It is in and working but there was a problem.
The only black/yellow wire was in one of the other plugs on my parking module.
The ignition switched supply on Plug A Pin 1 was black/green.

I had the same problem when I fitted the boot remote closing modification. I forget the colours concerned but just like today's mess-up my wires were different to the Audi diagrams and what everyone else had.

Perhaps my car was a Friday build

Update to this, now 15/05/2016, so we are ten days on. Had a few minutes yesterday waiting for SWMBO to put on her shoes. Managed to check the laptop in the boot and it is charging OK and is currently sitting at 75% charged. It is actually a tablet/notebook with a detachable touch sensitive screen and as such is ideal for VCDS. So hopefully by carrying this and the Gendan supplied genuine Ross cable I should be able to keep on top of the car problems as they occur.

Last edited by tc4332; 15th May 2016 at 08:09 PM.