A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 23rd April 2017, 12:22 PM

Safety is at the top of my buying priorities, and I too wonder at the lack of consideration others give to this.
Moltuae explains it perfectly, and the same physics applies in other possible crash scenarios.
Size gives the engineers space to build in more energy absorbing structure. And weight, like Moltuae says, reduces the acceleration to which bodies in the vehicle will be subjected.
I believe that newer cars do offer increased survivability, as they have the benefit of active detection and avoidance systems. Whereas my D3 is purely reactive.
I also like the idea of sharing the roads with cars the warn the driver when they are drifting out of their lane, apply the brakes in an emergency and even wake them up.
We just need a device that slaps the phone out of their hands now
Old 23rd April 2017, 05:51 PM

Safety has always been important to me, and I don't doubt the (D3) 8's safety features, however, it's the only modern car I've owned that doesn't come with an NCAP rating. Which, being frank, I'm not entirely happy with. Gone are the days when a big car was safe purely because of its size.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.

Last edited by Johnmed; 23rd April 2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 23rd April 2017, 06:52 PM

This caused me an issue with company usage, when the fleet management company tried to enforce a minimum of 4* NCAP rating on personal cars for company usage, with the A8 not being rated they decided I could no longer use it. Wasn't until I pointed out they had a number of the fleet for the board that they decided to use the A6 rating "as it was basically the same car" - I didn't argue.

My understanding is that to gain a rating they have to crash a few, which with the testing costs €€€ - given that the A8 doesn't sell in high numbers, just not worthwhile for Audi
Old 23rd April 2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
This caused me an issue with company usage, when the fleet management company tried to enforce a minimum of 4* NCAP rating on personal cars for company usage, with the A8 not being rated they decided I could no longer use it. Wasn't until I pointed out they had a number of the fleet for the board that they decided to use the A6 rating "as it was basically the same car" - I didn't argue.

My understanding is that to gain a rating they have to crash a few, which with the testing costs €€€ - given that the A8 doesn't sell in high numbers, just not worthwhile for Audi
That's really interesting Paul, regarding company use. I have read the same about crash testing, but it still doesn't sit right with me.

I'm aware Lamborghini models are crash tested, the Veyron even was. Yet the A8 and the R8 are not.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 23rd April 2017, 07:26 PM

They declined to test the A8 as they were worried about it smashing through the block and destroying their testing outfit
Old 24th April 2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
That can't be right - an organisation the size of VAG can swallow this sort of cost and not even notice in the rounding of their financials. There must be another reason. Weird otherwise (and if Tesla - an unprofitable car company can do it - why wouldn't Audi be able to?: http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/tesla/model-s/7897)

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.

Last edited by tintin; 24th April 2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 24th April 2017, 09:15 AM

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/news-...safety-claims/

Strange they rated the A2, but not all of the models
Old 24th April 2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
That's really interesting Paul, regarding company use. I have read the same about crash testing, but it still doesn't sit right with me.

I'm aware Lamborghini models are crash tested, the Veyron even was. Yet the A8 and the R8 are not.
Every car goes through regulatory crash testing in order to gain Type Approval so they can be registered (ignoring the very small volume producers who have alternatives) but not all are put through a EuroNCAP test. Members of EuroNCAP (mostly governments) fund a number of tests a year, but these are supplemented by manufacturers funding their own vehicles because they know safety sells in certain segments more than others.

With the A8 not being a big seller in relative terms it doesn't surprise me that Audi wouldn't choose to self-fund a test, if the majority of their customer base makes the purchasing choice on the assumption the car is safe due to its size, and they'd be better off spending their money in another area of marketing.

Bigger does generally equate to better in an impact, but there's always something bigger and heavier with which you can impact! Think HGV or bridge parapet as examples. EuroNCAP themselves say you should only use their ratings to compare across similar sized vehicles, as the offset deformable barrier test replicates an impact with an identical vehicle, which is far more relevant in most cases than the solid concrete block of old which resulted in vehicles that passed that requirement falling to bits when confronted by another vehicle with a mix of solid and soft parts to interact with. You can make a car very stiff and limit intrusion that way, but the occupants will then experience higher HIC readings and other biomechanical injuries that will result in a less bent car, but very poorly occupants. Think original Smart car as an example, where there simply isn't space to do anything other than make it really stiff.

Nice to see some solid engineering knowledge and discussion in this thread

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 24th April 2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Every car goes through regulatory crash testing in order to gain Type Approval so they can be registered (ignoring the very small volume producers who have alternatives) but not all are put through a EuroNCAP test. Members of EuroNCAP (mostly governments) fund a number of tests a year, but these are supplemented by manufacturers funding their own vehicles because they know safety sells in certain segments more than others.

With the A8 not being a big seller in relative terms it doesn't surprise me that Audi wouldn't choose to self-fund a test, if the majority of their customer base makes the purchasing choice on the assumption the car is safe due to its size, and they'd be better off spending their money in another area of marketing.

Bigger does generally equate to better in an impact, but there's always something bigger and heavier with which you can impact! Think HGV or bridge parapet as examples. EuroNCAP themselves say you should only use their ratings to compare across similar sized vehicles, as the offset deformable barrier test replicates an impact with an identical vehicle, which is far more relevant in most cases than the solid concrete block of old which resulted in vehicles that passed that requirement falling to bits when confronted by another vehicle with a mix of solid and soft parts to interact with. You can make a car very stiff and limit intrusion that way, but the occupants will then experience higher HIC readings and other biomechanical injuries that will result in a less bent car, but very poorly occupants. Think original Smart car as an example, where there simply isn't space to do anything other than make it really stiff.

Nice to see some solid engineering knowledge and discussion in this thread
Thanks Adrian. Very insightful and informative. As with most things, it's not as black and white as it seems.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 24th April 2017, 02:50 PM

Not a D3 but I have seen a video of a D2 in a crash test. I'm not sure where the footage came from though, perhaps someone here knows or has seen it before?

https://youtu.be/nEwq30hbCEI
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)