A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 1st August 2011, 10:04 AM

Default Window Tints

Finally had the windows tinted as i'm of to france in a few weeks and needed some protection for the little one which doesnt involve winnie the poo or suckers, very pleased with it and had the back screen, quarters and rear passengers done in 20%, got it done in bradford at expression tints, they have to remove the rear seats to get the back screen in but did a great job.

I was going to get a lighter shade on the front passenger windows but the guys at expression tell me that the A8 already has the legal maximum 70% on the fronts, is this standard on all A8s as since friday ive seen littarly hundreds of cars with front tints that look much darker than mine, are they all running illegally or are the guys wrong?

would have put a picture up but the 8 is digracefully dirty at present
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 1st August 2011, 10:15 AM

I don't know for sure but I suspect they are running illegally.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:46 AM

a few of them defo are , they have tints at the front as dark as my back window, i dont want to be scraping it of at the side of the road, but would like to make it a bit darker if its legal
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 1st August 2011, 09:03 PM

are you coming to the meet in mirfield on wednesday evening ? if so you can look at my tints to see if they are the same
Old 1st August 2011, 09:08 PM

cant make wednesday unfortunately, have the baby to look after , shame as its quite local to leeds.

have you tinted the fronts then?

regards

Old 2nd August 2011, 07:19 AM

The legal limit on windscreen and front side windows is a lot lighter than rears - I'm pretty impressed that a tinting company would explain/suggest yours are close to the legal limit rather than just tint and take your money! Makes a change!!

Without a 'tintman' to measure the light transmitted through the glass on your particular car it's impossible to know for sure if you could get away with putting film on them. If the tints at the rear are fairly light, which it sounds like they are, then I'd leave as is and be smug in the knowledge you're fully legal

Not sure if the rules are more strictly enforced abroad than they are here, so may be worth leaving for your trip in any case?
Old 2nd August 2011, 07:26 AM

The back is pretty dark, 20%'s, so i know i couldnt put matching tints on the fronts, but it would help the look if there were something.

your right it was good of them to say so, of course they didnt actually have a meter to test them so it was the statement that all A8s have the max legal as standard that im not sure about.

while being done, beside mine was a 730 BMW which had been tinted at the front and was again darker than mine.

as you say better to be legal and smug

Old 2nd August 2011, 01:46 PM

On most cars windows are 70-80% as standard, even the clear windscreens are 80-90%. There is just no glass that will let 100% of light through.

Even if they were 80% You could only put 90% film on them which is basically almost clear film that only filters infrared. 0.8*0.9=0.72=72%
Old 26th August 2011, 02:54 PM

Has anyone any experience of any window tinting companies in the Manchester area, good or bad?

Rgds

Rick

2007 D3 A8 Sport 3.0 TDi, Phantom Black Pearl, Black Nappa, MMI High,Bluetooth, Bose, DAB, Reverse camera, Adaptive Headlights

To fit: AMI, Digital TV(How much did you say?!) Front disc/caliper upgrade??

Looking out for another 'interesting' D2

For rapid removals and Dogs days out: 1996 Volvo 850 GLT T5 Estate . Eibach and Koni lowered, Rica 265 bhp ecu, 2.5 cat back custom s/s exhaust, 180,000, and still going like a devils bat
Old 29th August 2011, 12:09 PM

This is an issue that's always intrigued me as a motorcyclist.... I'm not allowed to use a dark tinted visor, which I can easily flip up if neccessary, but can wear dark sunglasses inside the crash helmet, that are effectively non removable !

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!